A couple of questions concerning rear coil springs for 1951 Super Riviera

Guest Lintsch

Guest Lintsch

Hey Guys!

At the moment im having some troubles in ordering rear coil springs for my 1951 buick super riviera. The background story is that i have to convert from airride back to original (legal issues).

So now i guess i need the whole spring assembly.

I recently got an illustration of the parts that are needed (thx RobMcDonald), but with some of the parts - i just cant figure out what they are or where to get them. I attached 4 Pictures of the airride at the current state and also the Parts Illustration.

Now come the questionmarks:

1. H and J both seem to be insulators. At CARS.INC i found 3 different types that fit my model - 2 circle and 1 rectangle shaped Insulator - which one fits where? (example: http://www.oldbuickparts.com/catalog/up-to-1960-buick-group-rear-axle-coil-spring-insulator-1938-60-buick-rear-p-6271.html )

2. I and P seem to be the clamps. I cant find that part anywhere but i think this part is still present in the airride setting (maybe someone could confirm that assumption by checking the pics? :) )

3. M, N and Q just seem like normal washers to me? Can i just use random ones here?

4. O and R are Upper and Lower Bolts. At CARS.INC i only found the lower (left handed) ones. I guess they are NOT the same then the upper ones? Are the upper ones left handed as well?? Maybe somebody knows where to find that

and of course 5. G The coil spring itself: I contacted Coilsprings.com and figured out that theres the possibility to make them a little lower. Thing is i need at least 11Cm Floor clearance for legal reasons.

So they told me to determine:

What is the current Trim Height of the vehicle?

What is the current floor pain clearance measurement from the Floor Pain – to – the Ground?

After googleing Trim Height i found out that this should be the height from the center of the wheel well opening to the ground? but how can i determine the exact center of the wheel well opening? Maybe someone has some illustration for this ?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Lintsch

post-93774-143142409499_thumb.jpg

post-93774-143142409525_thumb.jpg

post-93774-14314240955_thumb.jpg

post-93774-143142409576_thumb.jpg

REAR SUSPENSION.pdf

.....The background story is that i have to convert from air ride back to original (legal issues).....I contacted Coilsprings.com and figured out that there's the possibility to make them a little lower. Thing is i need at least 11Cm Floor clearance for legal reasons. So they told me to determine: What is the current Trim Height of the vehicle? What is the current floor pain clearance measurement from the Floor Pain – to – the Ground? After googleing Trim Height i found out that this should be the height from the center of the wheel well opening to the ground? but how can i determine the exact center of the wheel well opening? Maybe someone has some illustration for this?.....

No doubt, your licensing authority is concerned about the loss of vehicle control when a suspension system failure occurs, probably more so in the front than in the rear due to either a broken spring, failure of the air bag system, a tire blow out, or other mishap. What is somewhat confusing to me however, is your wording floor pan clearance and center of the wheel well opening. There is not a floor pan, per se, above the front suspension system and in most areas, the floor pan sits above the frame . Does frame mean the same to you as floor pan? In addition, I do not believe the center of the wheel well opening, as I understand it, has anything to do with the minimum 11cm

(4 3/8") clearance that they are looking for. You might want to check back with them for a clearer understanding. A copy of their rule book pertaining to this issue, posted here, would be helpful.

The pics below are taken from a 1951 Buick Shop Manual. I'm assuming that trim height is the same as spring trim dimension. If it isn't, disregard this entire Post. Note that the given dimensions are for the auto at curb weight. Buick's definition of curb weight includes a full tank of gas, oil, water, and spare tire, and without the driver or passenger's weight. Note also that a 1951 Model 52 (4-Door Riviera Sedan) has slightly more clearance than a Model 56R (2-Door Riviera hardtop). I do not know what Model Riviera you have.

post-41556-143142413007_thumb.jpg

There are numerous parts cars (late 1940's to mid-1950's or so) out there that have the interchangeable parts you are looking for. I would go that route rather than looking for all new parts.

Good luck.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-143142412999_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Guest Lintsch

hey! Thx for the replies. and sorry for the late reply! (business in sweden xD)

ok from bottom to top ill try to answer all questions.

@ Larry im Austria (EU)

@ mack

I got the 2 door hard top coupe

This wording: loor pan clearance and center of the wheel well opening. isnt actually mine.

i got this during the e-mail conversation i had with coilsprings.com

ello Patrick,

Trim Height is the measurement from the: Center of the Wheel Well Opening – to – the Ground, with the vehicle setting on a level surface.

What is the current Trim Height of the vehicle?

What is the current floor pain clearance measurement from the Floor Pain – to – the Ground?

How much does the Trim Height of the vehicle need to be decreased to get the floor pan at the height you desire?

Thank you and I await your response to proceed

Kevin

Coil Spring Specialties

and when i asked what exactly the trim height is and how it is measured i got this

Hello Patrick,

Trim Height is the measurement from the: Center of the Wheel Well Opening aka Center of Fender Well Opening – to – the Ground, - with the vehicle setting on a level surface.

Please advise

Thank you

Kevin

Coil Spring Specialties

the next problem i see is that the car currently is standing on an "empty airride" in the rear. so there are no springs at all (in the back). so its hard to take the measurings and assume its some kind of normal spring i guess...

Guest Lintsch

Thx for the hint bill! But do they also customize the springs (like if i would like them to be a little "lower"? ) and will they ship international?

regards!