starter pedal spring

pacrat

15 years ago, I went to start my 32 58. The engine fired up but the starter spring broke. On 32 buicks, the starter bendix is a straight spline, not a helix. There is an over running clutch on the bendix. with the broken spring, the bendix did not disengage and the starter was spinning on the overrunning clutch. the clutch froze after a minute or two. This action spun the armature at running engine speed and threw the windings out in the starter. I had a spare rusty spring from another engine but I was afraid to use it. I searched for a long time and never found any NOS or replacement springs. I eventually made my own spring. It took a dozen attempts to get it right. I made a drawing of the spring and sent it to several custom spring manufacturers. The cost was too prohibative to get a batch made. $100 set up and $45 per spring on a batch of 25.

Pacrat:

I've been searching my junk bins for my old broken spring. It broke at the opposite end than yours did. Your spring broke right at the 90 degree bend. The broken end would have been 0.800 inches long, then rurned down to the centerline of the spring and then bent back at a 45 degree angle. The broken end isn't real critical as it only has to wrap around the arm on the pedal cross shaft. The key factor is that the two end bends must be 45 degrees apart to creat ethe proper tension for returning the pedal.

I'll keep searching as I know I have the old spring somewhere.

Bob

• 2 months later...
15 years ago, I went to start my 32 58. The engine fired up but the starter spring broke. On 32 buicks, the starter bendix is a straight spline, not a helix. There is an over running clutch on the bendix. with the broken spring, the bendix did not disengage and the starter was spinning on the overrunning clutch. the clutch froze after a minute or two. This action spun the armature at running engine speed and threw the windings out in the starter. I had a spare rusty spring from another engine but I was afraid to use it. I searched for a long time and never found any NOS or replacement springs. I eventually made my own spring. It took a dozen attempts to get it right. I made a drawing of the spring and sent it to several custom spring manufacturers. The cost was too prohibative to get a batch made. $100 set up and $45 per spring on a batch of 25.

Hello, saw your thread and was wondering if you saved the drawing of your spring. Mine broke on my 28-58 and I can't locate the broken end. I located a spring winder and the pic would help.

Thanks BV

post-64276-143142477511_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps. I don't know if a 28-58 is the same as a 32 50 series spring? Coils are counterclockwise. Bends are made using a torch to get the bend area dull red. Don't quench the metal as it will get too hard a break when in use. Good luck, it takes a tough winder to bend this wire and get the correct diameter. I bent mine on a lathe and experimented with the anvil diameter.

Bob