Help, unknown factory holes in 65 floorboard

RockinRiviDad

I stripped out my seats & carpet to find I have lots of surface rust & a bad rusted section I had to cut out.

I was wondering about a few factory holes in the floorboard & what they are for. It's a bit confusing why Buick would put these holes in with not much of a purpose. Maybe someone can help me to decide whether to weld them up or are they suppose to have rubber plugs.

The biggest hole is near the accelerator pedal where your right heal would be while driving. It's got some kind of reinforcement on the underside of it like a factory washer of sorts. There was no plug only covered by the factory tar like sound deadener.

Another hole (a bit smaller than the first) is cut into the trans hump at the rear most part of where the center console attaches & it will cover it. It also was covered by the factory tar paper stuff.

The last two holes are under each rear seat & I can imagine they would be for drainage cuz they are at the lowest point of the floor pans??? But I don't see the logic unless I drive across lakes & river beds on a regular basis… They are the smallest ones & I found a mountain of factory seam sealer over them.

What have most of done to address this issue? Any help will be appreciated…thank u

image_zps9e060d77.jpg

image_zps1cd3475c.jpg

image_zps84751486.jpg

image_zpsca95f2b1.jpg

David

I believe the holes by the heel of the gas pedal position are for the 1/4-20 'ball studs' that actually hold the accelerator pedal in position, and those rear holes in the floor pan look like they might be seat belt mounts, or locating pins for assembly jigs ?? That would be my 'uneducated' guesstimate David.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

68 RIVGS: thx for the reply

Sorry I am horrible at describing my concerns. I wish I knew how to draw circles on a digital photo like some of you guys do to show the exact area in question.

Here is a pic of the gas pedal in place. The "heel" I referred to was of your foot heel. But with the pedal in place it looks like the hole in the floor is a bit to the left of that.

I attached a closer view of the rear hole which is in the lowest point of the pan. It's not a seat belt hole but a locating pin hole huh? Maybe your on to something…

What is your guess on the hole in the hump? Another locating hole maybe?

Weld them up or not? Any votes?

image_zps7207789e.jpg

image_zpsfc75c9f1.jpg

David

I've been in Cali pretty much my whole life…so your saying you guys in other places like Ohio get enough water in your car that it needs drain holes??

David

LOL, That is what it sounds like. Window channel leaks cause rust seems to be a problem with Ohio Cars I have encountered. Also , like this year, excessive snow will get tracked in, lay in the floor and not melt for a while (-8 degrees yesterday!), then when it does melt it soaks in the carpet and lays there slowly rotting. We have rust in the floors from both sides, underneath and from above. Anything that lets water not pool up and stay in the floorboard area would seem like a welcome thing. In you last picture it looks like there has been moisture in the floor, maybe its an illusion from the shadow. All our lives we have heard about "California rust free" cars, if a car is "Rust Free" here it just means your seat might not fall thru the floor on the way home...LOL!

Wow! Cars take a beating in your part of the world. I guess I never thought about that too much.

This car shows, in the documentation I have, to be a Cali car all it's life. So I thought "heck yea rust free"…NOT!

I cut out rust & welded in a replacement patch. The passenger rear seat frame is rusted so bad I may have to replace it. I will post pix of those steps on my build thread soon.

I'm sure thats not the last of it…

David

OK David: I recently got an explanation from a guy going a frame-off rest. According to this gent, the holes are alignment holes for lining up the floor pans so they can be welded together correctly. It made sense to me. When the components were assembled they had a gig to insure perfect panel fit. mitch