1937 Century Transmission

74 Apollo

Can you determine where the transmission is leaking?

If it is leaking from the torque tube ball, then it has to come out. If it is leaking from the countershaft (cluster gear shaft) hole at the rear bottom, you might be able to clean the oil up and use a sealant on it. I have had this work.

Pulling these transmissions isn't a fun job.

Transmission will need to come out. I've taken these out before so I understand the procedure just not sure if I want to do it this time. I'm still going to need a good transmission person as I plan on putting new input and output bearings in and make any other repairs necessary.

Dave Tachney might be able to give you a lead on a transmission guy. If he does let me know as I will be looking for one in the future also

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the same problem with a '38 Special and a '38 Roadmaster 81C which I drive the wheels off of in the summer. I pulled the rear end and replaced the ball seal on the Special. Concerning the Roadmaster, I borrowed the top of my wife's roasting pan and wired it up under the torque ball so as not to leave any grease slicks until I repair it (have the parts but not yet installed). Made for an issues last Thanksgiving as I had not returned the cover to the kitchen in time for the turkey roast and had to fess up on it's location. I went to pull it off the car but the Mrs. wasn't having any and wanted a new pan (grease is grease I thought, a quick clean up and it would be all set for the turkey!). Concerning the desire to have your tranny rebuilt, are your bearings noisy now? What other tranny issues do you have besides the leak?

• 2 weeks later...