1963 U-joints

Jim Cannon

Rockauto.com has these u-joints listed in many styles.

I put in these:

MOOG/PRECISION Part # 234

They are permanently greased. You can also get them with little grease fittings installed #534G

I got mine from my local O'Reilley, but if they don't have them or can't get them, order online.

Thanks for the timely note, Jim. I just picked up the same Precision parts at my local O'Reilley's north of San Diego this morning. Their catalog calls for a #234, #235, and the #534G (for the center support). But I can't for the life of me see the difference between the 234 and 235 parts.

I saw your question about these in another post and decided not to bury the answer in a thread with a title that did not imply anything about U-joints. So I started a new thread.

There is a slight difference between two of these three U-joints in the way they are greased. One has a grease fitting, the other requires you to grease it with some kind of needle type thing. The third is permanently greased.

I decided to go with the permanently greased variety on all 3 of mine.

Before taking the old U-joints apart, mark the drive shaft carefully at each end of each U-joint so that you reassemble the pieces back EXACTLY the way they were when you started (to maintain the correct "phasing" of the U-joints). There is also a diagram in the shop manual on how it needs to be assembled. Look at the Riviera diagram, not the other full size cars.

Before reassembling the 2 drive shaft halves, grease the spline up well. The spline is keyed so that it can only go back together one way.