Transmission slipped

Healeybob

I have a 63 with everything original. I was taking the Riv for a short spin and the engine RPM's began to rise but the car was not going any faster. I took my foot off the gas and tried again. It did it again. I put it in neutral and back into drive. This seem to fix the problem. Is this a linkage problem or Tranny slipping problem? I also have noticed when putting it in reverse it needs to be all the way back to engage. Seems the linkage is off. Is it adjustable?

I don't think the slippage part would have to do with linkage adjustment. Once it's in gear, it's in gear. I had some sloppy linkage on my '63 and I fixed it using a Mr. Gasket bushing kit for a four speed shifter. Part number is long gone from my mind, but I think they're still available. Are you sure the fluid level is topped off? I had an auxiliary trans cooler on my '63 and one of the lines to it split one time and I lost a bunch of fluid. The trans would slip until I got the RPM's up. Got it home, replaced the hose and added trans fluid and I was good to go.

No not driving it to Ventura. I did change the fluid out and looked in the pan, changed the gasket. It looked real clean. Thought I topped it off but will check. The threaded connection for the dip stick tube is leaking. Any thoughts on how to seal it up? I hope to get over to the Murphy auto Museum while I am there and talk to them about the heater control valve they used. Will let everybody know once I find out.