My first pre war car 28 Dictator Business Coupe survivor!

Guest 289stude

Guest 289stude

post-98153-143142317968_thumb.jpg

post-98153-143142317972_thumb.jpg

post-98153-143142317974_thumb.jpg

post-98153-143142317977_thumb.jpg

post-98153-143142317979_thumb.jpg

I am apparently the third owner the guy I bought it from had it 2 years and bought it from original owner. I want to keep it the way it is with the exception. Of maybe some correct vintage or as close to correct as possible performance upgrades (dual carbs, aluminum head, exhaust ect.) anybody have a lead on anything that would work please let me know.

Jonn

Guest Mark Vail

Hi Jonn. Again, congratulations on the purchase. It's a beautiful auto. I tend to agree with the others about leaving the car exactly "as is." It is so incredibly rare to find a car today in this fine state of preservation. But if you do make the "performance upgrades," please keep the original parts for the next owner who might wish to go back to "all original."

Mark Vail

Eatonton, GA

("southbend" on the SDC forum)

Edited by Mark Vail (see edit history)

The car is a ge dictator. They are relatively uncommon in that good condition. I have an earlier 28 GE. Mine will go down the road at 55 mph but.. the mechanical brakes are not good for stopping at that speed unless you have a clear road ahead. If you replace the engine with something else to soup it up and replace the brakes with a more modern hydraulic brake setup you no longer will have a survivor. If you want to do that use some other car that isn't so rare and well preserved. I know the car was cheap because it is only a Dictator but one in that condition deserves to be preserved in its original condition.

To add to what studeboy said, the brakes are mechanical, not hydraulic. Even in top condition and properly adjusted they will not stop the car as fast as modern brakes. Also, the transmission is unsynchronized, so double clutching will be required.

Crawl under the car and see if the rear axle ratio tag is still there. In 1927 the high speed ratio was 4.18. The other ratios were 4.6 and 5.11. Should be similar in 28.

Terry

Guest 289stude

Hi guys. On the fence with it however if any upgrades were to be made they would be bolt on bolt off ONLY all parts would be kept and labeled. I'll likely leave it the way it is it will take years to find performance parts for it anyhow. Interior & exterior are not going to be touched. Just thought it would look cool to open the hoods and see some 60 year old goodies in there.

I've been collecting studes for 20 years now bought my first one when I was 19. I wanted this one because it's so original. Trust me no harm will come to this little lady.

I am a bit if a Stude nut. I have a 63 R4 Avanti clone (all NOS R4 components not a B block though) with a Paxton novi supercharger and 7" Avanti Halibrands. And a 63 full package R2 Daytona with super red paint (1 of 9 built ) if I want to go fast.

Edited by 289stude (see edit history)