65 Replacement Coil Springs - Which do you Use?

izo369

Hello,

Looking to replace original coil springs this winter and was wondering if the members could provide feedback on what their using.

Have checked several parts sites and have only found one manufacturer of springs for the 65, Moog. Can anyone tell me if there are additional parts makers for springs? I would prefer a stiffer ride but, stock load is also fine. <o:p></o:p>

I am also interested in lowering the front of the car between 1-2 inches. Or raising the back 1-2 inches. Has anyone done this? <o:p></o:p>

On my other cars this was done by buying lowering springs specific to the task or installing adjustable struts. Since I can’t seem to find these for the 65 <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Riviera</st1:State></st1:place> is it simply a matter of cutting off a section of the spring?<o:p></o:p>

Can anyone speak to this?

Thank you

Izo<o:p></o:p>

Rob,

When you ordered your springs did you specify "Gran Sport" or "Ride and Handling Package" springs? I'm only asking so I know what Coil Spring Specialties calls them.

The Gran Sport option (A9) did not include the ride and handling package option (H2) springs although many Gran Sport opitoned cars were also ordered with the ride and handling option. The (H2) package consisted of the stiffer / shorter springs and a quicker ratio steering box.

Thanks,

Ed

They call them 1965 Riviera GS spec springs. As I understand it, from what they told me, they are modeled after the Ride and Handling package springs.

Izo,

If you want to raise the rear ride height relative to the front a complete set of Moog replacement springs, front and rear, should accomplish that. The Moog replacements for the rear were more suitable for the Electra but because they fit the Riv they were marketed as a replacement. The end result is the ride height will be increased as will the stiffness of the ride quality....if that`s what you want. Hard to imagine anyone will beat the Moog price also. Get the Moog numbers and do a search on Ebay. Sometimes I see spring sets being sold for an unbelievably low price. Good luck

Tom Mooney

Can anyone provide me with Trim Measurments of their 65 Riv's (base or GS) and what coils they have? What is the gap from 12 o'clock on the tire tred to 12 o'clock at the base of the fender opening? I'm trying to determine what the gap is for tire travel incase I modify the coils. Those GS coils should have less of a trim gap because of the lower profile they create and the coil rate is 500 pounds per inch vs. the non GS springs 380. Thanks Izo