needing pictures/info slant six A/C

Guest 1930

I still have not found any info for belt routing of a 225 with A/C. I guess they are pretty rare, I have been asking all around but no-one seems to have one to be able to snap some pictures.

I am pretty sure I need to get a double groove alt. but still un-clear what belts go where, if anyone here has a slant six with A/C or knows of one and can provide pictures it would be a big help, I am only days away from starting the vehicle for the first time and would like to have things pretty well done on the truck before doing so.

Below is what I have, as far as I know I have the correct brackets but who knows, things dont seem to line up.

post-48869-143142296651_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143142296681_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143142296707_thumb.jpg

Hi Jason, I did this way back in late 80's on a slant 6 in a '65 Barracuda I drove for many years. I know I had some photos but they are unfortunately not of the digital variety and are buried in a box somewhere. This link should help, it appears you will need a double groove crankshaft pulley and water pump pulley.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=231734

Mike I thought that I had finally figured it all out today but your pictures added some more info to help me along so thanks. It would be nice to find one of these factory idler deals, I know it prob. isnt going to happen but just in case anyone knows of one.

From what I remember on my 77 Volare, the alternator was a single groove. The A/C ran a separate belt with an idler off the crank pulleye.

I found this photo off the web to confirm this.

IMG_20130123_085315.jpg

Thanks, I saw that one as well, different compressor, earlier style so I did not look into it too far, thanks again anyway though for your time.

I wasn't sure how new of a set up you were looking for. I found another from the slant six forum using a newer compressor.

Bracket7.jpg

Very nice, would you please attach the link so that I can see the discussion behind it. I am on that forum and have searched but had not seen that pict. Thanks

I should have added in my first post that I am working on a 1986 truck. Not sure when they switched to the newer style compressor but I think it was 81ish.

The newer style compressor I show above (in my firts post ) was the same for 6 and 8, 6 used a single groove pulley, 8 used a double groove.

The compressor you show in this pic is not Dodge but something retro-fitted bu that idler pulley set-up pict. is priceless

Great picture above BTW again thanks

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Thatll work, if you have any ideas on a pulley let me know, I am not in love with the set-up shown, Id like it too look more factory if anyone has any suggestions.

So what year truck are you working on? Are you using a newer compressor than what was originally used?

Its an 86, if your interested you can see the truck from start to almost finish if you can find the posts http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-help/1986-dodge/msg1867195/#msg1867195

I can start it anytime now I guess but the more I leave un-done before its started the less likely it will ever get done, I think I found a solution today to the pulley problem, now the only problem is too find a way to make everything looks like it belongs, I hate to see things out of place when I open my hood.

It is the same compressor although not original, I do need to figure out how to get the clutch off the new one ( its a double pulley but I need single ) and also get the clutch off the old one ( the single clutch/pulley I need ) and swap them.

I know nothing about this sort of thing other than what I can read in my service manual, everything is scary the first time if you know what I mean.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

That was some great reading. I'm getting a better picture of everything now. I'm not that familiar with the newer types of compressors. I was thinking that your compressor was one of those used with R134a refrigerant but in 86, R12 was still used. I, too, would be referencing the shop manual for that. You'll certainly need a special tool to remove the pulley. You might be able to borrow one of those tools from Autozone for free if they still loan them that way.

• 1 year later...
Guest pops to 83

I have a "brand New" 81 dodge D150 / 225 slant 6 and am looking to see if any one figured out to completion the AC bracket install issue and has any info on parts?