'65 on eBay

RivNut

Here's a project car but from what I can tell it looks to be a very complete unaltered car. Quite a bit of work, but probably something that's not out of reason for any one with some skills. Too far away from Kansas for me to consider, but it might warrant further investigation for someone closer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Riviera-SPORT-COUPE-1965-buick-riviera-sport-coupe-2-door-hard-top-401-wildcat-nailhead-/141123915473?forcerrptr=true&hash=item20dba40ed1&item=141123915473&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Ed

Yep, I saw that car a couple of days ago. It sure does look rough. I like how the seller is stating "minor rust repair" Yeah right. And to think that's what I paid for the solid car I'm restoring now. Man did I get a deal.

And to think that's what I paid for the solid car I'm restoring now. Man did I get a deal.

Goes to show you what time will do. I bought my '63 in 1982 for $1,700 and drove it as my daily driver for 15 years. Even in the state of repair it's in now, it's probably still worth more than I paid for it. If I just parted it out and sold the options - electro cruise, guide-matic, twilight sentinel, power vents, cruise, cornering lights, four note horn, cast wheel covers, wonderbar, leather, trunk release, plus the usual p/w, p/s, tilt - I could make more than I paid for it.

Ed

OK Riviera People: I like this car. I believe it is most worthy of a nice refurbishing. As far as the price of 3K + ? I wouldn't pay that but that's me. It is a custom, power windows and a/c. Not gobs of equipment but at least the right combo. The prospect really needs to evaluate this because of many reasons........

1. It is not running and we can't determine the condition of the motor

2. It doesn't drive and we cant determine the condition of the transmission or rear end.

3. There is a certain amount of rust hiding

4. There are several minor details that seem un-important yet are very important like the heater core, clam situation, brakes and front suspension.

All the above are what it would amount to lots of dough so to me the questions are this....What is the threshold on initial price, how much money is really required to get this thing looking and running decent and how much energy would it take? Mitch

Lots of money, time, and energy Mitch. Lots. I'd say that car needs at least 15-20k (not including the labor) to get it to decent driver status.

OK Rob: The one thing that makes the market is the fact that, "it's all the money a person could come up with". There are lots of people that see a 65 Riv or a favorite car and bells and whistles go off in their head (like me) and all they have is 15% of what a real good one could cost.

The market always is the winner. Occasionally in the car business I'd price a $2,000. car at $3,995. just because. Lo and behold, some kid would come in with $3,000 his Grannie game him so he could get a car to go to back and forth to school with and he'd plunk it down and drive off. That's the market. Perhaps it's not the norm by a long shot but still, things like that do go on and there you go. Mitch