1927 Dodge Radiator shell - questions

Nick Moore

The farmer I bought my '27 Dodge from recently emailed to say that he'd dug up the radiator shell from behind his shed. I suspect he may have literally dug it up! One 1200km round trip later and I've got it.

Now I have it, I have a few questions. He described it as brass, which sounded odd as I thought they were nickel-plated steel. And it did turn out to be steel, with thick copper plating on the front side. In any case, the plating and dry climate mean that the shell is intact - no rust repairs required. It needs straightening though, and a few fittings have broken off.

• In the labelled photo, there's a hole on one side (1) and a bracket on the other (2) - presumably there should be a mirror image bracket in hole 1?
  • Does anyone have a photo showing what brackets 3 and 4 should look like?
  • Is there a trick to removing the Dodge Brothers badge?
  • Lastly, what is the bent rod at the top of the shell supposed to look like?

The repairs should just involve removing the broken brackets, straightening the shell, getting it replated and fitting new brackets. Simple when you say it fast!

Thanks in advance,

Nick Moore

Queensland, Australia

f.post-96449-143142282091_thumb.jpg

post-96449-143142282079_thumb.jpg

post-96449-143142282085_thumb.jpg

post-96449-143142282089_thumb.jpg

Nick - 1 and 2 are the mounting bolts that would attach the assembled radiator/shell onto the front crossmember. 3 isn't a bracket but more of a structural piece. 4 is where the license plate bracket would rivet to the shell. This bracket would span the distance between what you have left there and the license plate would attach to it. I know you want pics but don't have any at this moment. The bent rod at the top is just that a bent rod. It is screwed into the hole that the long radiator to firewall support rod would go. For gettting the badge out take a socket wrench slightly smaller than the hole and gently tap it with a hammer from behind. This should push it out. Jay

Hi Nick, Bracket 4 should be like in the attached photo (it could be easily fabricated by any sheet metal shop). Bracket 1 should be a mirror image of bracket 3 (on right). Not sure about number 3 in center. The support rod could easily be fabricated from an appropriate diameter solid rod with threads tapped on each end (one end must match those in rad). The other end can be whatever threads are convenient. A nut and washer on each side of firewall anchors the rod and gives some adjustment for getting rad perpendicular to frame and/or parallel gap to front edge of bonnet. If you want to get fancy you can heat the rod in central spot and hammer a flat in it for gripping with a spanner to tighten (see arrow in pic 2).

post-74074-143142289471_thumb.jpg

post-74074-143142289477_thumb.jpg