1957 Buick Century Sedan value

1958bkspecial

post-89355-14314227502_thumb.jpgI recently became the new steward of a 1957 Buick Century Sedan. I purchased this from an estate sale and am finding out what the previous owner restored and what needs to be done. I understand that only approx. 8075 were produced that year. Even though it has a post and is not the riviera style it sure looks sporty. I know most people seek out the Roadmasters/Supers of this year, but is there market value for the Century? I think I prefer the post for structural integrity. It looks like a riviera when the windows are rolled up thanks to the sleek window trim. Being it is a shorter model than the Roadmaster or Super , it will fit in my garage better. I would appreciate any information on the century sedan for 1957. This is my favorite year for the body style. Thanks, Jim

post-89355-143142275052_thumb.jpg

post-89355-143142275079_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1958bkspecial
adding pictures (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

In my humble opinion, the Century of that era is more sought after than a Super, remember, the Century is a series 60 car, the Super is a series 50 car. I look at the Super of that vintage to be the stripped big car, and the Century to be the upscale smaller Buick another way to look at it, the Roadmaster/Electra, Century/Wildcat and Super/LeSabre in perception- of course you could get either of those stripped or loaded. Value wise, you are better off with a hardtop, but you don't see the 57 Century sedans as often. Regardless, hardtop or sedan, if you like it, that's all that matters in the end. Don't forget, you will be able to outrun a Special, Super or Roadmaster ; )

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

JIM, you caught my interest on this. I had thought that there wasn't a lot of difference in the prices of junior and senior Buicks. In fact, I estimated that a Century 2-door Riviera might even beat out the big cars, both at the stop light and price-wise. According to the NADA price guide, that is true - http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1957/Buick/60-Century-Riviera/2-Door-Hardtop

However, pillared cars suffer as usual, with Century 4-door sedan prices lagging a 4-door hardtop Super by about 2/3 to 1/2, throughout the range of conditions. That surprises me - I figured the nimble junior cars, with their rakish roof lines and 3-piece rear windows would top the stodgier seniors, especially the sometimes plain Supers. Still, the fact that you really like your Century sedan gives me faith that every old car has a fan, somewhere. Pictures, please!

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Guest Scott Roberts

Jim,

Congratz on the new prize. Personaliy I like the less is more approach. It seems like evreyone wants the well optioned Buicks and there is nothing wrong with that. But, that means the lesser buicks get parted out to restore there well optioned brothers. This also means the number of surviving "plain" buicks are decreasing. Hence my pride and joys only option is power steering. A 58 buick special hard top with a 3 speed manual trans. Post or no post, in my opinion they will become the rare finds in the future. Of course I would like to have one of each year, but that is another story.

Scott

Guest Skyking
another way to look at it, the Roadmaster/Electra, Century/Wildcat and Super/LeSabre in perception-

Actually, when the LeSabre was introduced, it replaced the Special. I don't know where the Super stood in that line-up.

Guest my3buicks

I was using later 60's scenario for pecking order - really the Special wasn't replaced until 1961 when Buick again had 4 model lines. The 59 & 60 LeSabre really did have to fill a couple slots shoes. The Super really just faded away lol

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

I think the base Electra stood in for the Super in the early '60s. Unlike it's 225 upgrade, they were often 4-door sedans without many of the luxury options. They were still a long-wheelbase, big-engine Buick but in a more discrete package - like the earlier Supers.

Guest Rob McDonald
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222808[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]222809[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]222807[/ATTACH]

WOW, JIM, that is one beautiful Century! I love the colours - Shell Beige over Garnet Red? I'm not crazy about putting wire wheels on everything that rolls but on your car, they look great! You're absolutely right, the window frame trim makes the car look like a 4-door hardtop, without so many rattles and wind whistles. Thanks for posting these photos.

By the way, back to your original question: the NADA price guide pegs your car at somewhere between $3975 (low retail, daily driver quality), $6325 (average retail - a nice 20-footer), and $9650 (high retail, being a show car). See http://www.nadaguides.com/classic-cars/1957/buick/60-century/4-door-sedan/Values They say add 5% if it has factory air and I'd say you'd get another 5% for those shiny Skylark wheels.

Edited by Rob McDonald
NADA pricing (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

As usual NADA pretends it's a used car - Old Cars Price guide has it ranging for a show car at $19K, # 2 $13K, #3 9K and so on down from there - NADA does a disservice to the old car collector community - you show me where you can buy a show car 57 Century for $9650

I have always had the idea that my '60 Electra Model 6739 should have been designated as a Super. It has the same wheel base as the 4839 but is 4 inches shorter in the quarter panels.

Many want to call it a Deuce and a Quarter, a 225, but its really an Electra 221.

At least they didn't call mine the Electra and the longer one an Electra Lux. That would suck.

Bernie

Guest Rob McDonald
Electra Lux. That would suck.

Hehehe.

KEITH, that value strikes me as awfully low, too. Hagarty puts it in a range of $4000 to $20,000. NADA pegs a choice Century 2-door hardtop at $33,100, which is more like it. That's the thing about these freebie value guides - sellers say they're way too low and would-be buyers say they're too high. At best, they provide a comparative price structure, with the base line set by where and when and among whom an actual sale occurs. It takes only two to set the final price on any car. Everything else is armchair quarterbacking.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)