55 Ammeter, Always something

Paul Falabella

post-54093-14314226286_thumb.jpg

Ammeter on right is original ammeter I removed from car to clean up. Case bezel is crimped to case. My fatal mistake after cleaning, was to tap the bezel secure,with chisel hammer(lightly). Apparently the meter did not like this. The needle does not center(more about that in my previous post). Someone mentioned something about a centering spring. I did not see anything that looked like that. Can these meters be repaired? It's a shame because it cleaned up good.

Note: Meter on left is an NOS I picked up. I originally took the meter apart because the needle was faded. The needle on right is,as per Willie,Krylon 3101 Fluorescent Red/Orange. The needle on left is factory original. Perty dang close,huh?

At least the rest of the needles look as good.

Do I need to remove the top of dash to remove the Speedometer?

Actually the meter still works. It just doesn't center properly. High charge/discharge rate will cause the needle to park left or right, even going around a corner. Rap the gauge the needle will pop back. I don't see a return spring, and I am not going to tear apart the NOS unit. Lesson learned.