Lower seal on steering box

Beltfed

Put lube in steering box. Went out almost as fast as it went in. The lower oil seal is bad. Got the pitman arm off. Have to get the roller shaft out so I can get to seal. Removed the roller shaft cover plate. Started to pull the roller shaft out the top but everything (roller with housing) is coming up with the roller shaft. Is this correct? Will all the shims and such fall off so I'll never figure out what goes where? The instructions are quite vague on the disassembly. Thanks.

Had to walk this path alone as no one here has done this before. The roller shaft will come out with no problem. Getting the lower seal off was a bit of a problem but if one had the right tools it would be a snap. Will pick up the seal tomorrow and start re-assembly. Couple of pics for someone who might have to replace the lower seal someday without wanting to write a check to a repair person.post-88682-143142262447_thumb.jpg

BTW. You have to remove the exhaust manifold to get to the bolts.

post-88682-143142262422_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beltfed (see edit history)

You will now be able to correct for any wear(excess play) between the roller shaft and worm. If you are satisfied that there is no up-down movement in the worm shaft you can remove one (thin) roller shaft shim at a time and check for snugness with roller at the "over center" position. You will have to install the upper cap and remove end play (up-down)in the roller shaft to do this.

Peecher, This looks to be a "Gemmer #2" type steering box as it has the double roller. I believe the Fords of these years used the "Gemmer #3". Not much difference. I believe I have enough reference material to do all the adjustments. Thank goodness they didn't use the Saginaw recirculating ball system. Thanks.