Odd minor problem, engine quit in driveway...

Guest Trapdoor2

Guest Trapdoor2

I had an interesting problem with the Buick yesterday, not sure if it is an indicator of some underlying problem or not…maybe someone can clue me in.

I backed it out of the garage and down the driveway (which is downhill but not all that steep), stopping halfway down so my wife could get in. She’s got two bad knees, so it took her a minute to walk down and get it. As soon as she closed the passenger door, the engine quit…and would not restart.

I decided that it was not getting any fuel and a quick removal of the air-cleaner verified that the accelerator pump was dry; a splash of fuel down the carb and she fired right up…no problem. After that, she ran fine for the Sunday afternoon drive.

So, I’m wondering if the fuel pump is not putting out sufficient pressure at low engine rpms to keep the float bowl full. It is currently idling very low…but I haven’t checked it (yet). The driveway isn’t all that steep but perhaps the combination of low rpm and having to pump fuel uphill is the ticket?

I'm going to put the tach on it this evening and adjust the hot idle rpm to 500-600rpm. If I had to guess, it was probably well below 400rpm Sunday.

Guest Trapdoor2
Questions: how old is the fuel pump and how much gas was in the tank?

Fuel pump appears to be new...I have no real idea of its actual age. If I had to guess, it is a rebuilt unit with very little mileage on it.

Fuel...well, I topped her off less than 20 miles ago. I have no idea what fuel mileage is at the moment, new carb and all. Gauge is still showing "Full".

Guest Trapdoor2

Ok. Wilco. I'm presuming the fool-pump should be putting out somewhere around 5-7psi? Don't have my manual here at work. Of course, my pressure gauge goes to 100psi, not sure if it will even come off the peg at those pressures...

Seems I recall there is a float witness hole in the carb...I'll look it all up this evening. Thanks!

Guest NikeAjax

With the weather change, I'm wondering if you have a small bit of water in the carburetor: it doesn't take much at all! Just a thought...

Good luck,

Jaybird

Guest buckeye 3

Have you checked your fuel line. I had dirt (trash or whatever ) in my fuel tank and sometimes it would shut off my gas flow. It would always start when I primed the carb. If you have a clear filter in the fuel line,check to see if you have anything in it. That includes gas. Buckeye 3

Guest Trapdoor2

Yah, could be the filter. I don't have a glass type, its a tin can filter. I probably ought to replace it. Frankly, since I set the idle speed up (it was idling at ~300rpm, now 500rpm), I've just been driving her. I'm trying to get used to how quiet she is...sitting in traffic at a light, I often can't tell if she's running. I have to keep looking at the ammeter!

Guess I'm too used to having a Tach...:D

Guest Trapdoor2

Yah, not a mixture issue, it is actually running pretty rich right now. I'm working on burning thru the 20gal of ethanol I served up without due consideration. Have 3 or 4 stations nearby which sell untainted fuel. Once I get some of the good stuff in her, I will start doing some more serious mixture investigations.

She appears quite happy right now. All gauges "normal", etc. I finally found the brake resevoir...down below the power steering unit. How the heck does anyone get down there to check it? Probably easier to access when on a lift.