Tarnished Brass Look Preservation

hddennis

Just acquired these Samurai Kuwagata (Helmet Horns). They are made of brass and I'd like to clean them up to a point. I don't want to clean to a new polished finish but would like them to look like older tarnished brass but not long neglected like they are now. Anyone have any ideas? I want them to retain their legitimate aging and not look new. Before any one complains about the swastika, it represents a Buddhist symbol and also a Japanese family crest.

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143142247698_thumb.jpg

Dennis, I'm kinda thinking out loud here, but I've been in the same situation with old brass like this before. I can tell you NOT to use anything that has ammonia in it like Brasso or Noxon metal polish. One coat of that will leave it spotty and really dig into the patina in places you want to keep. Another no-no is to scrub it with anything harder than the base metal itself. Use brass brush or better yet, nylon bristle brushes. I would start with a good hot soapy bath with warm water to get the loose crud off. ( the helmet horn, not me)... and then, on the back side first, try a cleaner like the old powdered Boraxo hand soap ( the white powdered stuff). OR, try one of the waterless hand cleaners like Fast Orange, with a nylon brush. There's always the school of not cleaning it at all!!! Good luck, Pete.

"There's always the school of not cleaning it at all!!!" Thanks Pete, I'm sure I'll hear that many times. Japanese Samurai weapons were usually restored after a battle, it's why we have thousand year old swords to view today. They would have never have allowed anything to get this tarnished unless it was abandoned. Most Japanese antiques are either pristine or they are fully restored. I'm kind of in between on this because I want it to match the helmet I'm putting it on, so I don't want it fully restored but I'd like it to look like it hasn't been polished in quite some time, maintained not abused like it is now.

Howard Dennis