Replace or Rebuild?

Guest Ashli_Hunter10

Guest Ashli_Hunter10

I have a 2004 Buick Lesabre. It has 95,000 miles on it. I regularly check the oil and change it every 3,000 miles. Just recently I have a rod knock. I have everyone telling me to do different things and I would like some outside opinions. Choice one is to take out the engine and get one from a salvage yard to put back in it. I have someone that will do the work at a pretty low price but I do not have pricing on the engine itself yet. Now I have some worried that if we do that it may cause problems down the road (Pun not intended) because you never know what your gonna get from a salvage yard. Also it runs the risk of the engine not properly getting put back together.

Choice 2 is getting a complete rebuild of the engine. Now this issue with this is it is much more pricey, around $3,000. Is putting that much money into really worth it. I bought the car for $5,000 at 91,000 miles.

Hopefully someone can help give me some insight on this issue I have.

Ashli, I do not know where you are located, but that is only important in this instance because of a potential rust area that is inherent in this car. There is an area of the frame around the engine which seems to be problematic in these cars and if your car is suffering from that rust, then it may not even be wise to put any additional work into it. The areas is right where the body of the car meets the frame that the engine sits in. I wish we could help you assess that before putting more money into this vehicle. Perhaps you should look at the Buick Club of America Web site which has a listing of all the separate chapters in the USA, and if you are in the vicinity of one of them, you might contact the Director of the Chapter to see if someone would volunteer to take a look at this issue first.

Then if the frame is good to go, I recommend a salvage engine. It is true that you do not know what you'll get till it's in and running. But I predic the difference in cost will be so great that if you did get another bad engine, then you could do the job twice for what a rebuilt engine would cost.

Normally these motors are very durable. There are several who claim hundreds of thousands of miles on these engines with little engine work needed. Not so for the rest of the car which will suffer other problems not related to the motor. And I would think the chances of getting a good motor in a salvage yard is pretty good. Also they are plentiful. This engine was used in several models and GM Divisions in one form or another, so chances are a reputable salvage yard will have a good motor. I just do not know how to help you find a reputable salvage yard.

One thing is certain. Make sure you get as long a warranty on the motor as possible. Sometimes this is only 30 days. So be ready to do what it takes to get the engine installed and get back on the road right away. This is important.

Good luck

If you bought the car from a reputable dealer take it back. They should have made a couple grand on the deal and if they have similar car on the lot they will probably get you into it for $1,000 or so.

The car is 10 years old and has a lot of potential $1,000 problems. To replace the engine means disturbing everything under the hood. The chances of doing the job right and everything working well are not really that good.

Cars today do go to 400,000 miles, but it has to be done quickly, 6-8 years. Age and low mileage are the killers of modern cars.

Bernie