40 buick wiper assembly, HELP!

papafarms

Hi guys, kinda in a pinch here, need some quick help, would like to take the wiper housings to hershey to be chrome plated, how does one get those little chains and the end pivot that rotates the chain off, or does one just put it inside and let the chrome plater do his thing, as always you guys have been a great help, any advice will be greatly appreciated, P.S I am in a time frame to have my 40 conv coupe ready for my daughters wedding, this is one thing i would like to have done so i can install the dash, as always thanks for any help or advice, bob in maryland

Boy, am I glad I found your post (for your sake)!

I tried to have mine plated some years ago, dropping them off to a guy who "knew what to do" with these wiper transmissions. Well, he totally ruined them! And, wouldn't stand behind his screw up, telling me "they were junk". (sure were, after he got done with them) It cost big bucks to recover from this, by buying NOS replacements.

Bottom line - the shafts press out, somehow. The instructions are either on this site, or on the '37 - '38 club's site (where they have archived all of their publication's technical articles) Work with the search function here first.

Please don't even try to guess how much money I just saved you. I have been trying to forget the amount for about ten years now.

Jeff

I have '38's and I'm sure the wiper towers are the same.

You have to remove the wiper shaft to get the chain assembly out. It is pretty easy. You use the nut that holds the arm on as part of the "tool". Make a short sleeve out of copper tube or something that will fit over the wiper shaft. Cut it so that a few threads of the wiper shaft stick out. Put the nut on the shaft amd screw it on. As is goes on it will the wiper shaft out. You might have to make a couple of different length sleeves to get the shaft all the way out - but I dont think so. Once the shaft is out the chain and everything else inside will come out.

The plater would really like it if you clean all the grease and dirt out of the interior cavity before you give them to him.

Also, I'm sure that doing this is covered in the '37-'38 Torque Tube articles that are all on the net. A lot of that era Buicks share similar parts.

Don