Vehicle History Help

Can anyone tell me if there is a web site that you can check on vehicle histories, prior to 1981. Im trying to do research on my car but have had no luck. And all the sites I have found only go back as far as 1981. Any infor would be helpful. Thank you

If you're looking for ownership history, you'll have to go thru DMV in states where the car was registered. Contact them with the car's VIN, tell them what you want, and for a fee they should be able to give you a list of owners, possibly all the way back to the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin document. I think all states DMV are now online with a contact key.<P>Due to modern privacy laws, you may not be able to access this in some states and if you can, previous owners' addresses will be blacked out. Some states have gotten to where only law enforcement or insurance companies can get these records- STUPID, but that's how it is. But then, that's how law enforcement wants it and they have some of the most effective lobbying around next to the insurance industry and MADD. How do you think all these BS laws that increase police powers (often in defiance of established law)get passed?

Don't count on that! When my father registered his '37 Plymouth pickup last year DMV wanted him to produce a bill of sale on the truck so he could register it. He's had the truck since '63 and had it registered up until '71. Up until last year, the truck had never been out of the state, let alone been registered anyplace other than New York. In our case, even though my father still had a copy of the '71 registration, he still had a tough time getting the truck registered.