Red Crown Gasoline - Ever seen this item?

ncgirl05

Saw this at a swap meet yesterday. I have never seen anything like this, and I can't find anything similar online. The seller told me it was used on the back of a truck and there are two shelves in it to carry greases and oils. It was shown by salesmen to potential clients. He estimated it was from the 20's. The wood was in great shape, the patina is wonderful. It has not been restored. Don't know if you can tell but it even has pinstriping on the front panel. He was asking $1,500 - I really didn't know if that was a fair price or not.post-42432-143142182028_thumb.jpg

If this belongs in another forum here, please let me know.

Red Crown and Polarine were two of the brand names used by Standard Oil Company. 1920s is possible, but so is 1930s. It is possible that this could have been mounted on a salesman's truck but my thought it that is a bit unlikely unless you can see a period photo of one so mounted. The reason I think it unlikely is trucks of the day were not really smooth riding vehicles given their construction and the less than perfectly smooth roads. If this had samples of oil and grease on the shelves inside they would get really scrambled in the first 10 minutes of driving. My thought is that is may more likely have been used in a gas station. Gas stations of the day were given or sold all kinds of displays and such that featured prominent advertising of the products, very much like today. As for the price, value is what someone is willing to pay. If I came across this at a flea market and saw the price of $1,500 I would walk right on by and not even try to negotiate a better price because for me I would think that the dealer would be insulted if I offered what I think it is worth to add to my collection of petroliana. But that is only my opinion.

Some of the prices that have been paid at auction for signage works against establishing a "real" solid price for such things. You might pay the $1500, segue it into

the right auction, and double or triple your money! Then again, you might not. If that is a good coat of enamel, a little rubbing compound would positively make it glow.