Fisher Body 'DASH" or cowl plates

Ian Mc

Hi, I am midway through restoring a 1927 Pontiac Landau coupe that my father purchased out of a field in Cornwall, Ontario in 1965. The Fisher Body cowl plate and the VIN tag off the rear frame cross member were stripped when he bought the car. Does anyone know where I could get a reproduction cowl plate made to ' fill a blank ' on the car? I realize the number will be made up or copied from a scrapped car, but it will look better with the plate.I think I can make the brass VIN tag, but the raised letter cowl plate is more difficult without the punch press used. Thanks :)

Guest prs519

I have two different Fisher body tags in brass, showing the Fisher fancy carriage in both cases. PM if you think you might be interested I would not be too hard on you. One tag is a little bigger than the other. I believe they were about one inch by two inch. Perry

Years ago I got one for my collection that had been on a '37 Chevy cowl. It is an oval measuring 2 1/2" by 1", with screw holes on 2 1/8" centers. The rim, lettering, and image of a carriage are all plated and raised, but it does not have a number. If that would work for you, lots of other GM cars had them too, and it shouldn't be difficult to locate an original. You could try posting a want ad on the buy/sell forum.

Hi Perry,

I have seen pictures of several original 1927 Pontiac s with the raised letter tin' cowl plate. It is riveted on to the firewall under the hood on the left side of the car. It says " FISHER BODY CORP. DETROIT MICH. it has a JOB No and a BODY No. approx 4 inches wide x 2 inches high.

These cars did not have brass plates and are not like Chevy or Ford plates i have seen in catalogs.

I will keep looking for the right style plate or someone who can make me one, Thanks for the information.

Ian

Guest prs519

Ian, thank you too. What I have are more like Fisher medallions than what you seek. I should have realized that you need the aluminum data plate (I think).