Sorry, another 1930 window weatherstrip question

Dwight Romberger

Same way on my Pontiac. It would be a considerable saving 3/4" x 2 per window x 6 windows (4 dr sedan with quarter windows) = 9" per car. How many closed Fisher bodies were built in 1930 alone????

It appears to me that you're using the incorrect material to start with. Those cars used a metal or hard rubber channel lined with felt. In most cases the channel extended the length of the door sides and had a piece of soft "U" shaped rubber at the top . Some cars did have a channel at the top and usually the top channel was installed first and the sides butted into it, no miter. In wooden framed cars ,sometimes the channel had a tack through it to hold iot in place, but usually the garnish mouldings held the channel. The channel may also stick out a little from the mouldings. Make sure you're using the correct material, not foam rubber or some cheap substitute if you want your windows to operate properly. Your material looks like later (late 60's-70's) window channel. The correct channel for your car would be either no. 2-C (9/16 h.x 5/8 w.) or no. 10-A (17/32 h.x 5/8w.) available from Restoration Specialties in Pa 814-467-9842.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

Hi Jim,

I appreciate you keeping me on the straight and narrow!

Some of the original weatherstripping survived in my car. I bought mine from Steele Rubber, but Restoration Specialties sells it as AS2538. It is a flexible flocked rubber. It looks like cheap foam rubber because I have a cheap, don't care if a drop it, made in a country I will not name digital camera.

You guys are right. I guess that would be a significant savings. I just don't think like those we used to call "bean counters." I am installing mine with mitered edges.

Dwight

post-63449-143142159431_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight Romberger
Added pic (see edit history)

The AS2538 is also a choice but it does not look like the channel in the photo. The As2538 is much thicker and is pretty stiff. It's a solid extrusion with a flange on the bottom and smooth sides with no bead at the opening. It also measures 15/16 across the bottom. Hope you can get it to work for you!