fuel not getting to engine

Guest andrewhay52

Guest andrewhay52

For the last few months after my car sits over night, the next morning I go to start it I have to press the gas before cranking it a few times. Now it won't start at all, I believe I hear my fuel pump turning on, and the relay fuse is not blown. Can any one help!!!!

Guest Mc_Reatta

Go to the Zone... AutoZone that, is and borrow a fuel pressure gauge from their Loan-a-Tool program and take a look see at the fuel rail pressure.

You can verify the pump, filter, and regulator are working correctly by doing some simple tests.

Are you sure it's the fuel pump you hear and not the brake pump under the hood? The fuel pump will only run for 2-3 seconds while the brake pump will run for up to a minute if it has been sitting a long time. The way to know for sure is test the fuel pressure with a gauge. Could just be a plugged filter if the pump does run and little fuel pressure. Did you mean pressing the pedal while cranking or only before and releasing before cranking, like setting a choke on a carburetor?

If you don't have a fuel pump tester try this. Don't touch the gas pedal. Turn the key to the start position and let the engine spin for a few seconds (long enough for the engine to build oil pressure) and see if it eventually fires. If it does you have a bad fuel pump relay. Even if the relay is bad the pump will start running after the engine builds oil pressure.