Anthony Oddities

Packard Don

Through the years I've seen a number of Early C. Anthony Packards with his added touches of specially-made additions or changes. One was a Flying Lady in a private ornament collection in Northern Washington State from a circa 1939 or 1940 that looked beautiful at a glance but she had no arms. Another was a local (San José, California) 1956 Patrician that I was examining some years ago. I kept walking around it thinking that something wasn't quite right. I realized that that it had small chrome tail fins perched on top of the fenders! Yet another I saw recently in a private museum in nearby Mountain View, California was an early '30s Packard with red circles instead of hexes in the wheel covers and that may have also been an Anthony touch. (Now that I think of it, I used to have in my parts stock some '50s wheel covers with round circles - I wonder if they were Anthony too . . .)

I'm sure there are countless others and I would love to hear from people to learn what they are!

Edited by Packard Don (see edit history)

Packard Don,

Per your comment " Yet another I saw recently in a private museum in nearby Mountain View, California was an early '30s Packard with red circles instead of hexes in the wheel covers and that may have also been an Anthony touch ",

The circle instead of the hexagonal shape is correct, at least for my 1930 733 with wire-spoke wheels (does not show well in this shot).

I've attached a photo of another 733, but with disk wheels, and that one has the "HEX" shape.

post-54863-143142139426_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142139445_thumb.jpg

The one in the museum was an Anthony car and, as I recall, had a custom body so my guess at the time was that it was an Anthony change. Seeing a second one such as yours, though, now I'm not so sure but it does seem odd that Packard would abandon their trademark for one year and model. Of course, the wheel covers I had with the circle were for '51 to '54 models where they did always have the hex.

Are there any other "Anthony Specials" out there?