Los Gatos/Blown Engine/Now at $500 from $1200 Original listing

uwcharliet

Walter or anyone else in the Los Gatos Area:

Time to jump on this one. I have a good spare engine and would love to have this Reatta, but I don't know if it is worth the price to haul it to WA.

Any interested Reatta folk? Feel free to contact me for information.

Charlie

When you talked with him, did he say what the issue was with...

Last thing I need right now is another project...

He does not sound very mechanical. I only know he says the engine is "blown".

I have a really nice long block sitting here with 170+/lbs./cylinder, and a retired GM tech friend who says he will put it in for me for $300. It breaks my heart.

You need the project. Check it out.

When you talked with him, did he say what the issue was with the engine?

Last thing I need right now is another project...

********************************************************************************

Go ahead, Walter. Opportunity knocks.

I got an e-mail today from Eric. I unsuccessfully tried to get him down to $400, but he says he can get $500 at any Pick and Pull but he wants it to go to a hobbyist.

Contact info:

Eric

Diane had minor hand surgery Tuesday and can't travel now, otherwise I might get it if you aren't interested. Take your bride to dinner tonight in Los Gatos to soften the blow, then take her over to see it.

Let me know.

Charlie

uwcharliet@yahoo.com

I got an e-mail today from Eric. I unsuccessfully tried to get him down to $400, but he says he can get $500 at any Pick and Pull but he wants it to go to a hobbyist.

True that. If you are really interested, I wouldn't quibble over $400 vs $500. If it has a decent windshield, the car is worth more than that in parts.

...Diane had minor hand surgery Tuesday and can't travel now, otherwise I might get it if you aren't interested. Take your bride to dinner tonight in Los Gatos to soften the blow, then take her over to see it.

:) Well I am taking her out for a romantic dinner tonight. But it won't be in Los Gatos.

Actually we are thinking our next car might be a Volt. Not sure which car to get rid of. Probably the Suburban. But we need it for another year or so.

True that. If you are really interested, I wouldn't quibble over $400 vs $500. If it has a decent windshield, the car is worth more than that in parts.

:) Well I am taking her out for a romantic dinner tonight. But it won't be in Los Gatos.

Actually we are thinking our next car might be a Volt. Not sure which car to get rid of. Probably the Suburban. But we need it for another year or so.

********************************************************************************

Good grief, I hate to see any go the "pick and pull". I received another e-mail from the owner and this looks like the final chapter for the Reatta. I thought for sure we would have a hobbyist in the Bay Area who would be interested.

Charlie

Charlie,

Buy the car. A transport will cost you $500ish, you have the engine - do the math. You'll have a car of which your investment is less then street value. Yes, it is that simple.

$500 - car

$500 - transport

$300 - engine

$700 - unk misc repairs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

$2,000

Charlie,

Buy the car. A transport will cost you $500ish, you have the engine - do the math. You'll have a car of which your investment is less then street value. Yes, it is that simple.

$500 - car

$500 - transport

$300 - engine

$700 - unk misc repairs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

$2,000

The problem is I have not heard from any one who has looked over the vehicle. The interior could be poor or what else? What you are proposing is I pay $1,000 for a Reatta (delivered to my Seattle Area domicile) with a blown engine and unknown possible problems. I did the math. Without an assurance of the car's condition, I can't bring myself to commit. It should be a great deal for someone in the Bay Area, even if just for parts.

Charlie

The problem is I have not heard from any one who has looked over the vehicle. The interior could be poor or what else? What you are proposing is I pay $1,000 for a Reatta (delivered to my Seattle Area domicile) with a blown engine and unknown possible problems. I did the math. Without an assurance of the car's condition, I can't bring myself to commit. It should be a great deal for someone in the Bay Area, even if just for parts.

Charlie

Get pictures!! I've bought many Reattas sight unseen but for pictures the seller sent me. tell him you want hi-res pictures of the areas of concern (interior, undercarriage, etc).

If that isn't satisfactory, on eBay there are independent inspectors you can contact that can be your eyes. They will provide a detailed report on the car (I think the cost is approx $200). Once contracted, let him also know what your major concerns are (i.e. shocks, compressor, rust, etc). If you're serious, there are solutions available to determine if the car is right for you.

Walter saw it and says it is well worth the $500. Obviously, I would have to add transportation costs, but if he or Kit don't want it, I suppose I should have it transported rather than going after it.

You are twice as close to it as I am, aren't you? (I'm in the Seattle Area.) Want it?

Yeah, if a CA person doesn't snatch it I guess I will arrange transport next week.

Thanks for the insight.

Charlie

1991 Reatta Coupe, white/red

1990 Reatta Coupe, gray/gray (4 Sale)

1988 Reatta Coupe/red/sandal (4 Sale

1978 Mustang II, Factory T-Top, 351 Cleveland, C6 a/t, 10.5" rear end. Dyno=365 hp. (4 Sale)

Ford 2n Tractor (4 Sale)

Ford 8n Tractor (4 Sale)

1992 Ranger Super Cab/82K

Misc. farm implements

+ a three car garage and back yard full of misc. projects.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest THEHKP7M13

I am missing something here. Everyone is talking about a Reatta but there is no ad or specifics of the car listed.

Apparently someone else from Washington, not uwcharliet, bought it.

I looked at the car in some detail. On the good side, the body was in good shape, the interior clean, all the glass was good. But besides the engine, it needed some additional work to make it a good driver. (E.g., 1990 headlight switch, drivers door panel, headliner, headlight crank arm fix, IPC ERR fixed, etc. Drivers seat was fairly worn too, but no big tears or rips.) It was the sellers grandfathers car. So he had sentimental reasons for seeing it go to someone who would fix it up - rather than just hauling it to the Pick N Pull or parting it out. I hope whoever bought it does fix it up.