FREIGHTING A DICTATOR ENGINE FROM LONG ISLAND. CAN ANYONE HELP?

IN AN EARLIER POST I REQUESTED HELP WITH A 1928 STUDEBAKER DICTATOR ENGINE. I HAVE BEEN SUCCESFUL IN FINDING ONE. BUT I HAVE A SMALL PROBLEM. I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA AND THE ENGINE IS LOCATED IN LONG ISLAND NEW YORK. THE OWNER OF THE ENGINE IS UNABLE TO CRATE THE ENGINE OR DELIVER TO A FREIGHT DEPOT. IF SOMEBODY OUT THERE CAN ASSIST ME IN SOME WAY IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND COURIERS THAT WILL PICK THE ENGINE UP FROM HIS PLACE BUT NOBODY THAT WILL CRATE IT. THEY WONT PICK UP A LOOSE ENGINE. I HAVE GOT A CONTACT IN RAY MINNESOTA THAT WOULD CRATE THE ENGINE AND SHIP TO ME, MY PROBLEM IS GETTING IT TO HIM. IS THERE SOMEBODY THERE THAT WOULD BE INTERESTED IN CRATING IT AND GETTING IT TO A FREIGHT COMPANY? I WOULD PAY FOR YOUR TIME. PLEASE HELP, REGARDS DAMIEN

Long Island isn't as large as Australia, but it's still a big place. In what town is the engine located? Is the transmission going along for the ride? The engine ought to be close to 600 lb (270 kg), more with a sturdy crate. Will the freight company charge by weight or by volume? An engine crate needs to be compatible with a fork lift truck and tough enough that the engine won't come loose during the bumpier road transport part of the journey. I once received a transmission that had rattled around in a crate and broken off the mounting ears from the case.

Here is a pallet I built to move a Champion 6 to and from the engine shop. It was OK to use in the trailer, but probably not enough for sea freight or in a container. It would need sturdy top and sides.

http://www.studegarage.com/images/Engine/engmov2.jpg

Long Island isn't as large as Australia, but it's still a big place. In what town is the engine located? Is the transmission going along for the ride? The engine ought to be close to 600 lb (270 kg), more with a sturdy crate. Will the freight company charge by weight or by volume? An engine crate needs to be compatible with a fork lift truck and tough enough that the engine won't come loose during the bumpier road transport part of the journey. I once received a transmission that had rattled around in a crate and broken off the mounting ears from the case.

Here is a pallet I built to move a Champion 6 to and from the engine shop. It was OK to use in the trailer, but probably not enough for sea freight or in a container. It would need sturdy top and sides.

http://www.studegarage.com/images/Engine/engmov2.jpg

It is located in East Northport. It is just the engine. Don't know how the freight company charges as I have not found one that will pick the engine up without being crated.

When you do find a US shipper, make sure that the bill of lading states that it's a "used" engine....the cost to ship a "new" engine is twice as much, sounds crazy, but it's true....

If I were you, I'd search Google or the yellow pages for a carpenter or wood shop in or around East Northport, and see if someone is willing to get engine and crate it for you...

good luck...

Damien,

I live in Australia also, if you do succeed in friegting the engine over to Aus and only need block and internals, I am looking for external parts for my resto project,

which could ease the cost of it for you. Look forward to hearing from you.

erskinesedan

What is it you need?

Is it possible to contact you via email? I actually live not that far away, may also have some other parts which you may be intersted in, like a set of shocks,

and can let you know what i am looking for.

erskinesedan

Can I have your email and I will send you mine through that.

I once crated an engine for shipment from central Pennsylvania to Norway. Used pallets or skids are usually easy to come by (and free). I simply sat it on the pallet and used perforated steel strap to bolt it upright; headbolt through the center of the strap and ends of straps lag bolted to the sides of the pallet. Added a simple 2x2 frame and sheathed the whole thing with 1/8" plywood. The pallet was accessible to a forklift and the shipping company was able to stack it in a container.