New arrival at the Harwood Compound

Matt Harwood

So my wife had a big birthday this year and I decided to get her something special. I started looking for a 1964-66 Mustang convertible, since I think it's perhaps the only "universal" car in the world--who doesn't love an early Mustang ragtop? They're plentiful and affordable, bone simple and with easy parts availability. My only criteria were a V8 engine, a top that goes down, power steering (more on that in a moment) and not Poppy Red. After some looking and comparing, I drove down to Louisville, KY on Thursday and brought this one home:

post-31138-143142062447_thumb.jpg

It's a real-deal 1966 GT convertible with a factory 4-speed, console, and ice cold A/C, showing what we believe to be a correct 71,000 miles. Originally an A-code 289 4-barrel, it's got a full-roller crate 302 that feels very strong and looks pretty correct under the hood (I'll work on perfecting the illusion eventually). Beautiful, correct Nightmist Blue with two-tone blue and parchment Pony interior, console, and Rally-Pak. New white top, new white boot, new trunk lining, new tires and styled steel wheels, fully rebuilt front end, and fresh 9-inch with 3.00 gears on a limited slip. Runs and drives superbly, I drove it home 400 miles yesterday, and while it was a long, hot drive with the top down and I'm burned to a crisp, it was completely awesome. Could use an overdrive gear, but seemed pretty happy buzzing along at 65 MPH and 2800 RPM. Even pulled down 15-17 MPG. No power steering, which I think it should have, but I'll add that this winter, and no power top but the wife seems to be able to throw it up and down without any issues. There's also a giant, goofy stereo with two huge subwoofers that take up all the trunk space, but I'll be ditching that as soon as I figure out how it's hooked up. I guess it sounds OK, but I feel like a total ass thumping down the street...

So the wife is completely overwhelmed and I'm amazed by what a good car it is. Tight and no rattles, tracks straight, and rides very nicely. There are definitely still some bargains out there!

Too bad it's raining today... :(

post-31138-143142111945_thumb.jpg

Nice! Have owned a lot of early 65-66 Mustangs (think 40 plus) and they're pure fun cars...the secret is to find one without rust issues...and for a long time wondered why so many of these cars had what appeared to be dents to the left side of the gas filler cap....did the research and figured out (engineering helps) that the unibody construction and the engine torque on V-8's twists the body at that point....I've seen too many with that deformation to be convinced otherwise...I had a friend in New Orleans, in the 1970's the cars were starting to be desirable, we bought a LOT of coupes with pony interiors and goodies that we parted out, because then no one wanted coupes...only fast backs and convertibles...we even had a couple of cars with the six cylinder four speed...Dugenheim or something like that..

Congrats on your purchase and have fun!