Twilight photocell replacement info

KDirk

Thought I would post here to add some new (to me anyway) information regarding replacement of the twilight photocell in the dash of all Reattas 88-91.

For those who have not yet tackled this project, I have some good news on sourcing a new photocell - and cheaply at that. The photocell assembly is a blue plastic carrier that is flat on top and has a wedge base much like that of the light bulb used for the foot well courtesy lamps. A CDS photocell with wire leads is than "wrapped" around the wedge base to make the contacts that go into the socket that twist-locks into the dash under the trim pad.

On a hunch, I went to Radio Shack and bought an assortment bag of CDS photocells (had two large, two medium, and two small) for under $5. I used one of the large - about 1/4" diameter face - parts and wrapped the wire leads onto the blue plastic carrier (no polarity to worry about) just as the old one had come off. Put it in and tested it, and voila! I now have a working photocell that reads 98 when fully darkened, and around 17-18 in daylight (with the dash pad off anyway).

This was an easy fix, the toughest part was getting the dash pad off to get to the sensor assembly underneath. Better still is that I have enough parts to do another car for no additional cost. I may try one of the medium ones to see if it works as well. If so, I could replace 4 sensors for under $5 total - quite the deal if I may say. I suspect the smallest one is not up to the job, though it may well work.

Best part is that it negates the need to go and buy a hardware store dusk to dawn sensor and gut it for the photocell. Just thought I'd pass this along. One other note: be sure to clean the top (face) of the blue plastic lens to get off the accumulation of dust that will be on it before reinstalling.

BTW, Ronnie - if you see this, feel free to append it to the proper tutorial on ROJ.

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta

What shape are your fingers / knuckles in?

I remember lots of cuts and scrapes from working in tight spaces around all the sharp edges in that area.

Not bad actually. I got one small cut trying to pull out the defroster grille. I did get the "tar" all over me from the deteriorated foam wrapped around the temperature sensor harness.

I will be relocating the pink dash EL inverter while the dash pad is out.

KDirk