Early D.B G.B trucks

Guest 1930

Guest 1930

I am looking for factory literature that states that D.B factories supplied the heavier frames/running gears for the early Graham trucks.

I understand considering what the Grahams were doing prior to their affiliation with Dodge that it only makes sense that Dodge would supply the entire running gears for these early units but I also am aware of the D.B factories problems with simply keeping up with automotive/commercial car production at this time so it is difficult to comprehend that they devoted time/material/expense to this other venture.

I am sure that the plausibility of these chassis being manufactured within D.B own plant can be almost solidified with noting plant expansions taking place at the time which is something I intend to work on but I am hoping that someone has already done this and would be willing to share their findings. Thank-you

I don't have any factory literature to offer that would solidify the expansion your looking for but I found a link a while back that touched on this to some degree. Doubt it helps but it may lend clues to your search 1920-1928 see also the "Factories" link for possibly more coverage if needed.

Guest 1930

Here is possibly the original version

<s class="acts b w xsm">[PDF]</s>[h=3]Dodge Bros. Motor Car Company Plant (Dodge Main) HAER No. MI ...[/h]<cite>lcweb2.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/mi/mi0100/mi0166/data/mi0166data.pdf</cite>‎

NATIONAL ARCHITECTURAL AND ENGINEERING RECORD. Dodge Brothers Motor Car ... of Hamtramck. Charles K. Hyde, December 1980 ... HISTORY OF THE DODGE BROTHERS MOTOR CAR COMPANY PLANT. HAMTRAMCK ...

That's a great read !!! Can you help me understand something ? What years specifically are you narrowing in on and why if you don't mind? It sounds as if you have several reasons for your search, please fill us in if you can. Or are you only looking for confirmation that the larger chassis were built on site for the GB line as your first post suggests ?

Edit: Sure would like to see the wealth of photographic evidence that is held by the Chrysler Corp as well as Meadowbrook Hall and other locations the photos are held (mentioned on pages 28 & 29). If I'm able to got to Detroit in 2014 those locations must be visited.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Guest 1930
That's a great read !!! Can you help me understand something ? What years specifically are you narrowing in on and why if you don't mind? It sounds as if you have several reasons for your search, please fill us in if you can. Or are you only looking for confirmation that the larger chassis were built on site for the GB line as your first post suggests ?

Edit: Sure would like to see the wealth of photographic evidence that is held by the Chrysler Corp as well as Meadowbrook Hall and other locations the photos are held (mentioned on pages 28 & 29). If I'm able to got to Detroit in 2014 those locations must be visited.

I was specifically referring to the earliest models but of course would like to see confirmation of anything available beyond even that.

I need to see if I have anything that pre-dates D.B that might give a clue as to where the Grahams were securing these earliest frames.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

The following according to allpar :

"One immediate result of the combination was the assembly of both Dodge Brothers cars and Graham Brothers trucks in a new Toronto plant. Both Dodge Brothers cars and Graham Brothers trucks were made in the plant from 1928 to 1929."

Maybe Bill can provide proper documentation for that two year time span?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I was specifically referring to the earliest models but of course would like to see confirmation of anything available beyond even that.

I need to see if I have anything that pre-dates D.B that might give a clue as to where the Grahams were securing these earliest frames.

I believe the Stockton plant built trucks only. Not sure if they were the heavier straight frames only or the humped frames. My 29 DB 3/4 ton has a straight heavy frame.