Photos of Buick Concept Cars at the Sloan Museum in Flint, MI

Guest Higgs56

Guest Higgs56

When I was at the Buick Club of America National Meet in 2008, we went through the Sloan Museum or Buick Automobile Gallery (not sure which thing it really was). Anyway, they had a ton of Buicks and other cars in there, and many folks brought their Buicks to show for the BCA event. But in the museum, they had some Buick concept cars that were just flat out awesome. Not sure if many people are familiar with the 1956 Buick Centurion, but it is really awesome and I wanted to share with everyone. Here are a couple photos I got of the Centurion:

Buick_Club_of_America_National_Meet_Flint_MI_2008_Buicks_16.jpg

Buick_Club_of_America_National_Meet_Flint_MI_2008_Buicks_13.jpg

There is only 1 of these, and it's in Flint, MI. For some more views of it, check out this YouTube video, it's really a neat car. Also, I found some more info out on this website. It was introduced at the 1956 Motorama Show. The car had a rear facing tv camera in it, a 325 horse V8 motor... all kinds of cool stuff! You can see the Sloan Museum Page about the Centurion here.

Also, the Wildcat II was on display. Another concept car that was just plain awesome. Here's a photo I got of it:

Buick_Club_of_America_National_Meet_Flint_MI_2008_Buicks_14.jpg

Again, check out this YouTube video to see the Wildcat II. (its a bit long, so just fast forward to the 3:30 minute mark and it will begin there. Also, you can check out the page about it by the Sloan Museum here. 220 horses in a 322 c.i. motor. That's some serious muscle for such a little car with a fiberglass body!

If you are ever in the neighborhood, go and check out the Sloan Museum, it's impressive. There are a lot of really neat cars and other things like tanks in the Sloan Museum in Flint, MI, and I got a few other photos of some pretty cool things, and I finally got the '08 BCA meet up photo gallery ready if you want to see more. I've been busy getting more galleries set up on my site, including the '07, '08 and '09 BCA National Meets. I have more coming, it's just a ton of work to get them all formatted for the web.

Let me know if you've seen these cars or any of the other concepts.

post-94271-143141979364_thumb.jpg

post-94271-143141979369_thumb.jpg

The Buick Gallery in Flint has always been a favourite place of mine. At the meet in 2003 in Flint, nearly all of Buick's concept cars to date were there (they may all have been there, but I'm not quite certain) between the Buick Gallery and GM's collection coming out. It is great that so many of these have been kept for posterity. I think it is tremendous that there are usually one or two at every BCA National Meet.

Two weeks....

Also, the Wildcat II was on display. Another concept car that was just plain awesome.

About a year ago, the buzz was that GM could be considering a Wildcat offering in the near future. The insider news indicated that the Corvette sales are dropping a bit, but they don't (and cannot!) change the vette in any way to make it less cost, so the thought is to introduce a Buick version of the Vette with a V6 and lower price point to boost sales of the Vette platform, thus keeping the Vette alive.

Anyway, probably won't happen, but we can dream, can't we?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f32/buick-wildcat-now-colors-108534/

post-65039-143141981484_thumb.jpg

Edited by CheezeMan (see edit history)

It's a play on my surname and came to be a nickname in university.

I'd like that new Wildcat concept...it could lose the squared off "c" in the front fender...reminds me too much of a Mustang styling detail...just incorporate the sweepspear all the way through to the front fender and it would be great. If they do come out with it, it would likely be after the children are grown, so it wouldn't be bad to have a two seater for She Who Must Be Obeyed and myself to cruise in. Buick with a V6...hmmm...interesting possibilities.

Guest Higgs56

Well, I kind of figured since you didn't have a profile picture of you in a red leather jacket and white sparkly glove (only one), that it must be something else, but I think it's cool! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a new wildcat to come out, and I do hope you post pictures of it when you get it!