1905 Sears Auto Buggy research

Recently purchased a 1905 Sears Auto Buggy #5322. Have it running and driving. Can anyone tell me where I can find information on this auto? Person I bought it from said it was sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co. Don't know if it is a fact or not. Would like to find out who actually manufactured this auto for Sears and any other information that is out there. Thank you. Eric Danielson

Yes, it was made by Sears and you ordered it from the Sears Catalog. They made about 3500 from 1909 to 1912. (So I am wondering -did you transpose a digit on your serial number?) Sears lost $80,000 on this venture and you can see why when you look at the other cars of this same time period. A chain driven high wheeler was not the most advanced car.<P>My husband and I own a 1911 Sears Model H # 3296. We bought in from a Sears Laurinburg NC dealer. It has always been in NC and we are third owners. <P>The following article is one I ususally hand out to the public when we get the car out.<P>The Sears AutoBuggy<BR>In 1911, you could order almost anything you needed from the Sears catalog, including automobiles. A motor buggy like this one was delivered to your home in a strong hickory crate. The new owner had to mount the wheels, fill the tank, and crank it up. Seven models sold for $325 to $495.<P>With a two-cylinder 14-horsepower engine the buggy?s top speed was 25 mph. According to the catalog, that was fast enough: ?We do not believe that the average man desires to go whirling through the country at 40 to 50 miles an hour.?<P>A satisfied owner wrote: ?It beats a horse bad, as it don?t eat when I ain?t working it and it stands without hitching, and, best of all, it don?t get scared at automobiles.? <P>Sears sold 3,500 motor buggies (losing $80,000 in the process) between 1908 and 1912, when the company discontinued the line. The company returned to the automobile business briefly in the early 1950s with the Allstate.<P>Catalog Number #21T33 Cost: $395<BR> #21T44 $370 (without top & fenders)<P>Cash Only<BR>No Credit<BR>Made in Chicago<P>Motor: Two-cylinder, horizontal opposed type, 4 1/8-inch bore, 4-inch stroke. <P>Horse Power: 14-horse power.<P>Lubrication: Mechanical force feed oilier & splash system, insuring perfect lubrication.<P>Ignition: Jump spark, with dry cells and nonvibrating coil.<P>Transmission: Friction disc type.<P>Drive: Double side chain from power shaft.<P>Brakes: Double acting expanding brakes on rear wheels, positive in their application, nonrattling, and powerful enough to hold on any grade. Emergency brake, reverse on transmission.<P>Wheel Base: 72 inches<BR>Tread: 56 inches, 60 inch tread<BR>Tires: 36 X 3/8-inch solid rubber tires.<BR>Carburetor: Schebler.<BR>Tank: Heavy gauge metal, located under seat. Gravity feed to carburetor. 6 gallon tank.<P>Weight: 1050 lbs.<BR>Shipping Weight: 1300 lbs.<BR>3,000 ? 5,000 miles/set of tires<BR>100 ? 200 miles/gallon of oil<BR>3,000 ? 4, 000 miles/clutch<P>Please make note of the miles per gallon of oil - 100 to 200 miles per gallon is not a whole lot.<P>It came with a Sears guarantee, which stated - ?We guarantee each automobile to be perfect in material and workmanship and will replace at any time any broken parts showing defective workmanship?? <BR>Sears Catalog<BR> <BR>We do own a 1911 Sears catalog and the car is listed.There are several reproduction books on the Sears AutoBuggy and often available on Ebay.<P>I hope this helps. Have fun with the car. She will always draw a crowd esp. when people find out it was indeed ordered from the Sears catalog.<p>[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: 24T42 ]

A quick check of Ebay and there is a copy of a book published in 1973 called "1909-1912 Sears Roebuck,Motor Buggy Catalogue". This would be a great book to get some basic information. <P> <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2116894725" TARGET=_blank>Sears Book Listing on Ebay</A><P>Over the holiday, I will try and find some of my historic photos of Sears and see if I can post them.<P>Phil - Thanks for catching my goof. I did not mean to imply that Sears made the Allstate.