Door gasket help: 38 Zephyr coupe

Beltfed

I just received door gaskets from Boos. Can't figure out how the bottom gasket fits up. Anyone know or have a pic they can post? It has holes spaced about 2-3/4" apart that don't line up with anything. Thanks

Not sure, but it sounds like you are talking about the piece that goes on the front of the door, around the hinges, since these are the only pieces that have a cut-out. The first two pics show how the weatherstripping goes around the hinges on my '37 coupe. The last shot shows the piece that actually goes across the bottom. Hope this helps. Sorry for the lighting, but I have the car up and the wheels off for brake work, so cannot get outside for better light.

post-31207-14314196366_thumb.jpg

post-31207-143141963644_thumb.jpg

post-31207-143141963653_thumb.jpg

Thanks much CBoz,

"I see says the blind man". I was trying to put the bottom gasket somewhere around the sill plate. Your looks to be mounted to the door. Also, the hinge post gasket(forward part of door) looks to be mounted outside the hinge. I thought it was mounted between the hinge and the door face. Questions: What did you used to get the gasket to stick? It looks like you have the door gasket starting above the top hinge around to the bottom rear of the door,mounted to the door. The gasket I got from Boos looks like it fits the door face on the body and not on the door itself. Can this be correct?

Thanks much CBoz,

"I see says the blind man". I was trying to put the bottom gasket somewhere around the sill plate. Your looks to be mounted to the door. Also, the hinge post gasket(forward part of door) looks to be mounted outside the hinge. I thought it was mounted between the hinge and the door face. Questions: What did you used to get the gasket to stick? It looks like you have the door gasket starting above the top hinge around to the bottom rear of the door,mounted to the door. The gasket I got from Boos looks like it fits the door face on the body and not on the door itself. Can this be correct?

Just good old 3M weatherstripping glue is all you need. Make sure it's black and not that yellow "Gorilla Snot" they sometimes sell. The gasket that goes on the front edge of the door goes (as you said) from above the top hinge, then down, then wraps around the curve at the bottom front edge before stopping. The TOP piece is the only piece that glues to the body, and it runs from just above the belt line on the rear of the door to the front (in effect an inverted U). Hope this helps, and send us pics when you're done!

Yeah, I know it's upside down. I just don't know why.

EDIT. Ask my wife about my iPad posting pictures upside down. She told that because I'm left handed I'm holding the thing upside down. I have be told that left handed people are smarter than right handed people. Well, some of us anyway.

Edited by Beltfed (see edit history)

I moved the gasket from my previous post to under the sill plate. It works much better here than under the door itself. It was very hard to close the door before.

I'm away from the car right now, but the previous position looks correct. I'm not sure it's going to work like you'd want under the sill; the seal should be where the door edge is. I would go back to the original position, but maybe position it up a little -- you'd be surprised how being just a little off can cause drag on things like this. Good luck!

CBoz,

I noticed that your bottom gasket is different than mine. Yours looks to be like a hose with a flat tab. Mine on the other hand is made very much like a sill plate gasket found on house doors. Who knows which one is correct? I am assuming that since I purchased it from Boos, it would be the correct one. But one knows what assume will get you.

CBoz,

I noticed that your bottom gasket is different than mine. Yours looks to be like a hose with a flat tab. Mine on the other hand is made very much like a sill plate gasket found on house doors. Who knows which one is correct? I am assuming that since I purchased it from Boos, it would be the correct one. But one knows what assume will get you.

Yeah, I can't remember where I got my weatherstripping, but there aren't that many vendors, so who knows what is precisely correct.

Yeah, I can't remember where I got my weatherstripping, but there aren't that many vendors, so who knows what is precisely correct.

The correct weatherstripping is the rubber pipe type with the single flap tag.Thats what I used on mine. The flap fits under the door trim with the hose bit protruding out the bottom to form the seal against the floor sill. You may be able to use those original holes in the lower door to attach the flap.

Guest 65Starfire

Could you post the part number of the correct one from Steele for the next guy ordering a set?

Here ya go 65Starfire.

Steele Rubber Products.

on-line catalog.

General Use Parts.

Dense Rubber Extrusion

page 7

P/N: 30-0054-99

the hose section is 1/2" in diameter, overall length is 1-1/4", making the tab length 3/4".