Man, I'm Tired!

ol' yeller

I've been working on getting my vert ready for the All Buick Open this Saturday. As I use my Reatta a lot, it does get dirty and things wear out. Adding to the mix that I am working with half a heart, it takes a lot from me to get her ready for a show. Yesterday, I redyed the seats and steering wheel which came out great. Before I did that I installed a replacement radio and my CD player, finally. That was a big job as I had to remove most of the dash and the console to get it done. Figuring out the routing of the wiring harness for the CD player was also somewhat challenging. I have restored several cars from the sixties but these 90's cars are a lot more complicated. I finally got everything installed and it looks like factory. Unfortunately, there are operational issues with both the radio and CD player. No problems though as I knew the CD player probably needed a rebuild and the radio and CD player are getting fixed after the show. The good part is that the disassembly allowed me to clean out the dust that has accumulated inside the dash over the last 24 years.

Today, I replaced a burned out taillight bulb and polished the taillight lens. I also painted over some rub spots on the ends of the bumper rub strips from the previous owner. I then took some Simple Green to the engine compartment and erased a lot of grime that has accumulated over the years. I then finished detailing the interior which came out looking great. I also installed new visor brackets. As I live in the Great Northwet, it was raining today, but I pulled the car out into the driveway and cleaned the top using Ragg Topp cleaner. I then washed the entire car and shined the tires. I then pulled the car into the garage to towel it off. I have only lived in this retirement community for 2 years and I am sure my neighbors think I am losing it.

Tomorrow brings rubbing out the paint with 3M polishing compound and then a good wax job. A roof treatment with the Ragg Topp treatment is also in the cards. A final touch up and a complete window washing inside and out and I am done. I would like to figure out a better way to display the decals and posters I have from when my car was used as a pace car for the Great American Race but that is going to have to wait until next year's National In Portland, Oregon...if I live that long, HA!

I actually love doing this kind of stuff. I get an immense feeling of satisfaction figuring out how things work (or don't work). I also love bringing my vehicle closer to what they looked like when they were new. I don't have to tell you fine folks about the grin on my face as I drive this fine machine to the car show. My health issues have slowed down how much I can do in a day but I am still able to resurrect my car and have it look good at a car show.

Guest Corvanti

great work! wish i could do half as much nowadays...

especially if you still have a clearcoat on her, you may want to try a "clay bar kit" instead of the polishing compound. even if there's no clearcoat, i've used it on everything from my '40 Studebaker (original survivor) to newer vehicles. takes the dirt, grime, etc. away - and leaves the paint on the car!:)

Guest Kitskaboodle

Here's a little cleaning tip for you: (since you really enjoy getting your car looking the way it came off the showroom floor)

I use SOS pads on the transmission housing, side cover and all engine shielding to give it that clean, aluminum look. :)

Kit

Guest llamalor2112

If it'd just stop raining long enough in Granite Falls to allow me to get the Buicks cleaned up before Saturday that'd be just great! haha ...no such luck so far

Guest steveskyhawk

Doing a clay bar treatment on a convertible shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. You only need to do the horizontal surfaces.

Polishing done. Sorry guys but the claybar treatment is going to have to wait. I got all the little things fixed that I have been putting off. The car looks great! I'll post up some pics after the show tomorrow. I do this for personal pride and satisfaction. I know the Reatta row is going to be overlooked by the majority going to the show. It doesn't really matter to me as I am going to have a wonderful time seeing old friends and enjoying driving my beautiful convertible on a suuny Saturday afternoon. After all, it isn't all about the cars is it? My 4 year old granddaughter pronounced the car "Ravishing"!

Guest Mc_Reatta
My 4 year old granddaughter pronounced the car "Ravishing"!

Think that equates to 410 points from the official judges! ;)

Good job.