Replacing Hose on Power Steering System

Guest dwhiteside64

Guest dwhiteside64

Hello,

This kinda goes along with arnulfo's question. I noticed that the top rubber hose (which I think is the return) leading from the power steering pump to the steering gear asembly is in bad shape and needs replacement. This rubber hose is about 17-18 inches long and has a ID of 3/8". It looks like an easy task, but I haven't done this before so I worry about introducing air into the system. Is this something to worry about or is it as straight forward as it looks?

Any ideas are most welcomed. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest dwhiteside64

Thanks Bill for alleviating any fears I had. I thought it was easier than working with brake lines. I'll give it a try this weekend...

When you buy the replacement hose, be sure to get a hose that is rated for transmission fluid, not plain vacuum hose. You want to see some white threads embedded in the rubber when you look at the end of the cut hose.

I had a guy provide me with a plain rubber vacuum hose material and the PS fluid weeped through it after a few days. What a mess.

BTW, disconnect the hose end down at the PS unit first and quickly move it over to a coffee can or something to drain the PS pump reservoir into. Less mess.