1st GEN POST REAR WHEEL BEARING INSTALLATION VIBRATION

Guest 1963 Riviera

Guest 1963 Riviera

I recently had my RWB'S replaced and and took her for a drive. Between 40-50 mph I was getting a vibration on the steering wheel and sensed a vibration through the car.

The vibration was not there previously.

There is also a slight pull to the right.

Has something gone wrong in the installation, or just a coincidence.

A friend has suggested a wheel balance issue, maybe the weights came off.

Your advice is always appreciated.

Nick.

Jack the car up so the wheels are off the ground. Then put it in gear with no load on the bearings. One wheel will spin. Check it and then hold it safely to shift power to the other side. Any issue with the wheel bearings will be very pronounced when spinning unloaded.

Bernie

It sounds like you had a shop replace the bearings. Have you contacted them about the problem?

Has anyone had the driveshaft off for any reason recently. Often vibration throughout the car can be caused by a problem with the driveshaft but typically it will gradually get worse with speed. does it get worse at 60 and 70 MPH?

Though a long shot its possible new tighter bearings can magnify an existing problem in the driveline. Definitely make sure all wheels are balanced properly. Sometimes you can isolate a problem by swapping the front wheels to the rear and see if anything changes.

Guest 1963 Riviera

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I took her back today and had the mechanic take her for a drive. He also stopped, and in neutral increased the RPM'S.(no vibration).

He thinks the wheels have to be way out of balance to do that (nothing has happened to cause that ). So it could be the Universal.

Firstly he would like to put her up on a hoist and have a look around.

Jason. it only does it between 40 - 50 then dies off.

Thanks as always

Nick