Decoding the VIN

Guest Riviera1963

Guest Riviera1963

Can anyone provide a link for a decoder? I have tried searching it through Google but I haven't had much luck doing that. Also, where is the ID located on the Engine? I have a 63' with a 401.

Here is a picture of my VIN above my Booster, is this the only VIN I need to worry about, or is there another stamped somewhere else that I don't know about.

2013-05-19_13-11-08_13.jpg

If you promise to join the Riviera Owners Assn., I'll decode it for you. There are items like this and many more on the ROA's website. $30 bucks for a year and you get 6 bi-monthly magazines, access to many vendors for parts, and a list of tech advisor for trouble shooting. This forum just scratches the surface of what's available.

The car was built in the 2nd week of February - 02B

It was the 21,329th of 40,000 built for '63 - FB number

798 - Saddle leather

SS - Bronze Mist paint

J2 - power seat

D - equipped for a radio

I6 - tinted glass

S - remote outside mirror

U7 - power windows

Z4 - automatic (vacuum) trunk release

The codes listed are only for options that Fisher Body needed to make accommodations for to a base body - drill or punch a hole, weld on a tab, etc.

Options like cruise control, four note horns, tilt wheel, cornering lamps, which wheel cover, white or black wall tires, tire size, twilight sentinel, guidematic, etc. were not on this tag. You would need the original window sticker for this information.

Here's the link I promised you.

https://secure.netsolhost.com/rivowners.org/apply_form/membershipform_check_mo.php

Here's where you find the number. The ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER should match the VIN number on the cowl tag of your car. Look at the top picture only. No need to read the text.

The two letter code on the left side tells the engine size J = 1963, T = 401, W=425. Any other code is not a '63 Riviera engine.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_where.php

Happy motoring

Ed

PS - The tag you pictured is not the VIN plate, it's the Fisher Body Data plate

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest Riviera1963

Thanks for the help, and I promise I will sign up for the Riv Owners Association soon.

And, I have no working interior lights, at the moment, so I guess I can't answer your question yet.

Guest Riviera1963

It does have a small light that looks identical to the one in your picture, it is behind my trunk release lever. Why?

If your light opening is round and has a metal bezel around the opening, as shown in the photo, then your car is now my earliest known '63 Riviera with this glove box light. My previous was FB21333 (4 cars after yours).

Prior to this, the light opening was a simple rectangular shaped hole cut in the top of the glove box liner, with no metal trim around the hole.

Congratulations!

• 1 month later...
Guest stevenu170

Hello Jim, my 63 has the round glovebox lense with the metal bezel behind trunk release. build date 02A FB20079

Steve Upton

ROA 13937

1963 Riviera 401