Pulling artillery wheels 1928 Vic six

Guest BretK

Guest BretK

After getting the split rims off for cleaning and powder coating prior to putting on the new rubber, I have determined that new wheel bearings are probably in order, as well as servicing the brakes. In order to get there, I think I need to find/make some sort of a hub puller as I do not want to damage the irreplaceable or at least hard to find parts. Any reccomendations?

The front wheels are easy to get off their hubs. The rear ones is where you need the hub puller....I had never heard of a hub puller before when I first took off my wheels. I took a 2 x 4 put it against the hub and started tapping w/ a little force w/ a hammer....the wood kept the threads from deforming...anyway, after a while the wheel came off. This may be frowned upon now, but it did work for me at the time.

Guest 1930

Also can back the nut off a bit and either drive it a bit to loosen them or have someone pull you around the yard.

Guest BretK

Thanks Jason and Bob for your replys. She is up on jack stands while the split rims are getting blasted and powdercoated before the new rubber goes on, so no luck pulling around the yard. I was going to take the front wheels off, and back off the brake shoe cams per the manual, but was confronted with 5 lbs of grime, dust and grease, so spent the afternoon scraping.

post-93142-143141907272_thumb.jpg

post-93142-143141907288_thumb.jpg

Guest BretK
What did you find out about the rim color?

near as I can tell three of the rims had some silvery grey color paint left on them. The other two were just plain rust:D I still haven't decided what color to powder coat them, I am leaning toward just a basic black, but not sure..... Opinions?

Guest 1930

Cadmium plating was used on the 4 cyl cars for sure, I cannot tell you the specifics without looking it up but maybe that is the silver you are seeing on these rims?