Hup Model 20 steering column removal

1912Minerva

Hi All, An easy query (I hope...). I need to remove the oil reservoir from my Hup 20 and, in order for it to clear the studs, it looks like I have to pull the steering column out first. My question is how do I remove the end of the column from the pinion? I can see it is keyed in the pinion - can I just tap it out? Or is there something else that has to be undone to allow the steering column to be removed? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Regards, Andrew Winter.

I pulled my oil reservior off recently when I removed my motor -Didn't need to do any thing to the steering column at all and had plenty of clearance ????

It's possible mine is non standard but doesn't look like it is to me Karl

Thanks for the replies guys - I ended up pulling the studs out and that allowed the oil reservoir to clear the steering column OK. Karl, is that what you meant or does your reservoir tank come off easily with just undoing the nuts? Incidentally, why did Hupp decide to incorporate water passages to the water jacket in with the oil reservoir tank? Is it so that the warmth of the water keeps the oil runnier or just to make things needlessly complicated!!? Cheers, Andrew.