1918 Cadillac Model 57 Phaeton

Another car I'm somewhat sorry to see for sale, from the estate of a long-time hobbyist that many may know. This 1918 Cadillac is one of those great 1970s restorations that has a perfect all-of-a-piece patina that will make old timers smile remembering when the greatest cars were those with some miles under their wheels. Today, it's still quite nice and has been recently serviced, making for a fun, powerful, fast tour car that's a blast to drive. It has been in the same ownership since the early 1950s, so there's a lot of history behind it. There's also a truckload of spare parts, including most of a spare engine, wheels, trim pieces, radiators, clutches, water pumps, taillights, carburetors, brake drums, rear end gears, and more, all of which is included with the car.

Paint and bodywork are still quite good despite approaching four decades since the restoration was completed. All four doors open and close easily and while the paint doesn't sparkle like modern urethane, it is in very good condition with a soft shine that's immensely appealing on a nickel car like this. The phaeton was among the sportiest of the 1918 Cadillac body styles, with a lower windshield and top than the 7-passenger model, and definitely sleeker than the limousines that were Cadillac's bread and butter. The trim is still nickel plated, not chrome, so it has a bit of tarnish, which, to my eye, looks right in a way that chrome's hard shine would not. I'm not thrilled with how the dual aftermarket taillights out back look, but they do add safety, so they're a smart addition.

The interior is simple pleated black leather that shows some age but is still quite presentable with no tears or damage, just some minor creases that's typical of this type of leather. The original battleship linoleum floors were restored using the correct stuff (impossible to find today), and the instrument panel is surprisingly complete, including a fuel pressure gauge. There's also a wood-rimmed swing-away steering wheel (AKA "fatman" steering wheel) that's a necessity no matter how much you weigh. In back, the seat is in very good condition and there's a small storage compartment in the rear of the front seat that carries oils and other on the road items you might need. The top is in good shape and it includes a full set of side curtains for touring.

The big V8 displaces 314.5 cubic inches and makes all the right V8 sounds thanks to a dual exhaust system (that's how the factory built them, by the way). The engine will look familiar to anyone with an early Lincoln, since Henry Leland designed them both, and I can see some similarities to my own 1929 Cadillac's powerplant. You don't need the priming cups, just pump up the fuel system with the dash-mounted knob, turn the key, and hit the starter and it fires easily and confidently. It makes great torque and easily ambles around in second gear, with clutch action that's quite modern in feel. The gearbox is non-synchronized, of course, so some deliberate double-clutching is required and with practice comes perfection. Two-wheel brakes mean that this big guy goes better than it stops, but they are adequate and operating correctly. The blackwall Universal tires look right on the yellow bodywork, although I don't know how old they are.

Nickel cars offer a ton of performance and style for not a lot of money, simply because they seem to be orphaned between the brass era and the Full Classic era. To me, that only means that you can pick up a V8-powered Cadillac phaeton for pennies on the dollar, since our asking price is only $37,900. Thanks for looking!

post-31138-143141901117_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141901121_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141901124_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141901126_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141901129_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141901132_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141901134_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141901137_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141901139_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141901142_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143141901145_thumb.jpg