1948 Buick Roadmaster Harmonic Balancer Causes Engine to seize Up??

Guest Caddy Guy

Guest Caddy Guy

I just inherited my dads 1948 Buick Road master Sedanete,it is in great shape and was running great! I went to start it today and it turned over then all of the sudden a loud banging noise happened and it stopped turning over. I looked and felt where the pully is and you can move it side to side where the harmonic balancer is attached,very loose. The harmonic balancer was tumbling hard when it would idle so Im not sure if that caused the car to sieze or what,how far up the creek am I??? Its a straight 8 with the Dynaflow. Any help would be appreciated and I can answer any questions. Thanks in advance!!

Guest Caddy Guy

Thanks for the response you guys. It wasn't running at all when this happened, I was giving her a bath and went to start her so I could finish cleaning the rear white walls,and as I started it the motor turned over and then it thumped hard and the belt stopped turning. I felt the harmonic balancer and you can shake the bottom pulley cause it is loose,the belt never broke. If it is the bottom pulley that broke off at the crank, is that something that can be fixed with out pulling the motor?? I will check the starter in the morning to see if that is the problem but I dont think that is it, and I may have jumped the gun by saying it was seized up with out knowing more first! I was heart broken cause she was running great and the car is in beautiful shape and was my dads daily driver. Just got back with it from Winslow AZ yesterday. Thanks for thee help everyone, I appreciate it!! Is it ok to post a pic of the car and the engine here???

Guest Caddy Guy

Here are 2 pics of My dads car and the motor! The interior in this 48 is in near perfect shape as is all the chrome and stainless inside and out, and the body on this car is super straight with no dings or dents.

post-93022-143141874529_thumb.jpg

post-93022-143141874527_thumb.jpg

Guest Grant Magrath

Maybe the harmonic balancer rubber has let go, which would be good, because then it's just a matter of tracking down a new one. I found an XK 120 Jag on the side of the road the other week with a busted harmonic balancer. Rubber let go, and flung the steel ring off the car, taking the belt and any engine cooling capabilities with it. Got the belt back on the remnants of the balancer and sent the poor bloke on his way. BTW, love the pictures! She's a beauty!

Cheers

Grant

PS Keyway could have gone in the balancer, throwing your timing out.

Guest Caddy Guy

If the rubber has let loose would it stop the motor from even turning over?? Going out in a few to inspect a few things like the starter etc. just to eliminate possibilities.