Heartbreaking...

michaelod

While picking up some parts today from the shop where my 1930 Buick is being painted, I noticed there was a 1927 LaSalle sedan parked in there as well. The LaSalle appeared to be in outstanding restored condition, easily ready for any show. The shop owner told me the owner of the LaSalle had brought the car in to be turned into a hotrod with expectations that the required work would cost approximately $140K. The shop owner confided in me that he did not feel this was an appropriate car to be rodded, but then the customer is entitled to do what they want with their own car. Seems to me like a waste of an excellent original vehicle and a good way to turn a large pile of cash into a small one.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

There are many examples of this practice and while it seems bad, there are a lot of old cars out there, even restored ones. It used to bother me, but not anymore. Consider that we live in a country where we are allowed to do this to OUR car if we so desire. Consider that so many of these old cars exist in some form or another because we have created a multi billion (with a B) dollar old car hobby industry and we live in a time and place where this obsession is possible.

100 years from now maybe all cars are electric and all of the old cars that remain have been converted to run on ethanol.

Just a counterpoint, I see what you mean Michael. I am a fan of the 70's Buick and I cringe on every Craigs List ad I open for a low mileage Electra that sporting those crazy 22 or 24" or bigger chromed bling wheels. Then I remind myself that we live in a country that allows this expression, and it's a little better.

You have to realize that a person usually has to has a connection to a vintage vehicle to want to keep it as they remembered it. Maybe they had a car like this when they, or a relative, had one when they were young. Most likely the owner of the LaSalle is only looking at the car as just a pile of sheet metal shell that is going to make a awesome street rod, nothing more. As we all get older the cars we cherish will become less valuable to the you generations. My sons consider some vehicles of the '80s and '90s are classic, I pesonally don't consider anything past '72 worth anything.

Guest BigDogDaddy

The trend now is luxury rods where they take a large luxury pre war car and turn it into a hot rod. Usually they like to keep the car stock looking. They don't radically alter the body. But everything else is modern. At least this way, the car could be returned back to factory condition. There were two nice examples of these cars at the Danvers national.