-2" springs installed

cool57

Guest Da Tinman

I did it, and here's some tips. First make sure you have plenty of profanities saved up, you're going to need them. On the front: after pulling the wheel/tire and brake drum remove the steering arm and the bolt in the brake guide pin then remove the backing plate from the spindle, pull the strut rod and bumpstop off the lower control arm as well as the sway bar link and the shock absorber. Loosen the lower balljoint nut, tap with a hammer to pop the balljoint loose, support lower arm with a jack and remove the nut. Slowly lower the jack and drop the lower control arm all the way. Evenly disperse profanities as desired. If you don't remove everything from the lower control arm it will not drop far enough to get the spring out (easier to remove everything than to use a spring compressor and a lot less scary). If you don't remove the backing plate the lower ball joint and control arm wont come out.

Edited by Da Tinman (see edit history)

Guest Da Tinman

On the rear, make sure you have a couple of 1/2" bolts to replace the lower spring retainer bolts as they are probably going to snap off. Start by supporting the rear end with a jack and remove one shock, then allow the rear end to sag on that side. (taking both sides loose may allow the rear to sag enough to stretch/damage the rear brake hose.) Clean all the dirt/dust out of the lower spring retainer and insert breaker bar and socket thru the spring and on the bolt, wedge in place with your hip or thigh, use another breaker bar and socket on the bottom side, cheater pipe may also be required. Warn your neighbors that your profanity stream may increase in volume and substance. Now if your lucky they will snap off right away. If your like me it will take at least 3 long hard turns before they snap off. DON'T PUNCH YOURSELF IN THE FACE! Remove the upper retainer which will come right off. Insert new spring and install the retainers, you'll have to jack the rear end up quite aways to get the spring in contact with both ends. Install the shock and do the other side. If you have the water heater muffler still in place your gonna need to put some 2x's under the tires when you put it back down or you'll trap your jack. Hope this helps!

Edited by Da Tinman (see edit history)

• 7 months later...

Well for "looks" you nailed it. As for bouncy in the front that might be the only bump stops you need to trim down. Someone correct me if I'm wrong pls but isn't that bouncy front end from it riding on the stops? I will be down that road soon so if trimming is the answer then it'll be easier for me now than later especially with the upper control arm bump stops.

Where did u order your Bilstein's from. Check out the info I posted on this thread about my Bilstein's. If you need help call the two people that helped me with mine, prompt service. They were super cool and easy to talk to.…one of the guys is on your end of the world.

http://forums.aaca.org/showpost.php?p=1240926

Regards,

David