Carburetor Help

ken1007

Help resolve question as to "correct" carb for 1971 250 cu Nova with automatic. Vendor supplied rebuilt carb that does not match original in two respects. 1. Vendor carb does not have a vacuum port for 1/4" line going to tranny, original carb has this connection in the throttle body; their solution is to split off another vacuum connection, but those are smaller lines and it is not original. 2. The replacement carb does not contain the idle compensator valve assembly; their solution to this is carb does not need it, and it will just create future problems. Pic of original and replacement carb is attached. What say you guys, is it a keeper (per vendor advice) or should I shop elsewhere?

post-91418-143141826274_thumb.jpg

I'd be upset at a vendor that tried to pawn this carb off as correct. Will it work? Yes, but that's not the point. This also isn't the first time I've seen this from rebuilt carb vendors. They just get whatever cores they can and try to foist them off as correct.

The trans vacuum line can be connected to any manifold vacuum port, either on the carb or directly off the intake manifold. This one isn't particularly critical. The hot idle compensator PROBABLY won't be missed, but you won't know that until you start running the carb under a wide variety of temperature and load conditions. Personally I'd tell the vendor to refund my money (and pay for shipping) if he can't provide a correct carb. Is there some reason why you didn't just rebuild your original?