Side Window Removal - 30' Commander

Guest Dunc126

Guest Dunc126

All right, I've been able to remove the door and window handles on my 1930 Commander, I’ve removed the door panel, disconnected and removed the window regulator, and now… I’m stuck. The window is now moving freely along the channels, and the window rail is still attached to the bottom of the window. My question is, what’s next? I don’t want to damage the channels while removing the glass, but I can’t see any other way of freeing the glass. Also, I’m assuming that I need to remove the window rail before I can remove the window, how do I go about doing this?

As always, thanks in advance!

Duncan

Guest Dunc126

Thanks studeboy. There seems to be a block across the inside of the door, at the bottom of the window glass’ travel, which prevents it from going any lower. I don’t see any bolts on the inside of the door panel which would allow it to be removed, but maybe it’s glued in? I’ll check when I get home tonight.

Thanks again!

Hi Duncan,

I just installed new glass and channels in a 1930 dictator, I think your comander probably works the same. Ok, first remove the trim piece around the window. At the top of the verticle channels there are a couple of tabs holding the channel in place. Straighten those out, that releases the channel, lean them to the inside of the car. Now crank the window up as if closing, as the window nears the top lean the window towards the inside of the car. Keep cranking and it will crank right up out of the door. There is a slot in the track on the bottom that lets the regulator come free. Getting the track through the window slot might be a close fit but it goes through there. Good luck Virgil

Guest Dunc126

Thank you pvstudabak, I found the tabs on the window which hold the channels. There are two on each side (front and back). they were hidden on the outside by paint, and on the inside of the channels, they were hidden within the felt. Mine are rusted, so I'm going to drill them out and replace when I have new glass cut. P.S. I found that a residential glass company can cut the glass for my car - I just have to provide a template or the original glass to trace.

Guest Dunc126

Thanks Virgil, I was able to drill out the steel split rivets and pull the channels out enough to get the glass out. Once I replace the glass, I might replace the steel rivets with brass, just to ease the process in the future. Also, I know this relates to one of my past posts, but the wrench needed to remove the inside door handles, a thin 9/16th inch, is pretty much the exact same wrench needed to remove the cylinder head on a Cox .049 glow engine, two of which are provided with each engine. Just an FYI...

Guest Dunc126

Also, Virgil, you said that you replaced the window channels, where were you able to get those? I think I can reuse the ones on my car, but I did notice a few cracks near the rivets and will at least need new felt. Thanks again! Duncan

Hi Duncan,

The source of window channel. Restoration specialties, Widner Pa. Phone 814-467-9842 www.restorationspeclalties.com Suggest ordering a paper copy catalog from them, it has more than the one on line. Also call to order, lot of stuff you can't order online. Channel I used, 2011 catalog page 8, part number 10-A Comes in 72" & 96" 3-A-1 same page probably ok. These channels are flexiable enough to get the window in. Some of the others are not. They also have the clips if you need any.

If you decide to change the channels, The clips on the bottom side are welded in, maybe take extra care not to break the tabs off. The tabs are just clinched over, I used a small screw driver to pry them out straight to release the channel. Can release the tops the same way. Virgil