radio for 1967 Riviera

Guest Marc Rosaaen

Guest Marc Rosaaen

I'm going to look at a '67 Riviera next week. Its original radio was replaced, but the seller says the dashboard was not modified. Where would I find an original radio for the car? I'm assuming the original was AM or AM/FM, but if it was AM/FM stereo, did they put speakers in the doors?

The seller says that the original brakes were replaced with disc brakes. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Marc Rosaaen (see edit history)

Radios for these aren't too hard to find. I probably have a couple AM/FMs somewhere. Never speakers in the doors. Just 1 front and 1 rear.The AM/FM mono was alot more popular than AM/FM stereo which had the stereo unit separate and mounted under the gove box area. It had a light that lights up behind a translucent Delco name when stereo reception is received. Pretty cool option.

As for the brake conversion thats anyones guess. You'll need to access that yourself or take it to a competant shop and have them look at it and evaluate. It all comes down to the person doing the modification. Some people do a professional job while others are plain butchers. A properly adjusted original "aluminum" drum brake set up is more than adequate for normal driving. If there would be a problem with the disc setup you can always go back to drums.

I found this on Google. Don't know if any of the radios are still available.

66 67 Riviera AM/FM Factory Multiples Stereo

In '67 front disk brakes were an option. If the conversion was with factory parts and includes everything - master cylinder, distribution block, etc. it might be okay. If it's a kit, do as Jason suggests and have a professional check everything out.

Ed