37 Pontiac Fuel Sending Unit Inside of Gas Tank

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

According to the service manual, the gas tank needs to be removed to access the fuel sending unit on the top/front of the gas tank. Well, I don't have a lift, but I do have a jack and jack stands. Has anyone ever removed the tank mounting straps and lowered the tank just a bit to get to the sending unit? If so, then this job would be do-able for me. Also, are there any alignments associated with the fuel sending unit that must be made either before or after the installation? I am looking at a universal one that is listed on Ebay, and according to what is posted, this one would be the correct ohms for my car, and is for the 37 Pontiac.

Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated, and thank you!

. Jim, a pretty straight forward chore. I drain most of the gas from mine. I also use a piece of plywood, about 18 in by 18 in between the floor jack ant tank.

after lowering it a bit, check the wire to the sending unit. It may need to be unhooked. And don't forget the gas line. If your sending unit is hooked directly to the gas line, and the new one has to connect with a piece of rubber tubing, a ground will be needed. The gas line acts as the ground for the sending unit. I usually connect a ground wire to one of the sending unit mounting screws an the other end of wire to a convenient spot on frame or body.

Good luck

Ben

Guest bofusmosby

Ben, thank you for the info. One thing I just remembered was on the universal sending unit I am looking to buy, it states that this one does NOT have the fuel line. Well, I see that I need to see if the original that is on my tank right now has the fuel line or not. Glad you brought that up. I had figured on draining my gas tank, for fear that the weight would be too much for me to handle with the gas in it. The problem is, I have no idea as to how much gas there actually is in this tank, which is the reason why I need to get this gas gauge working again. I guess I need to have a look at the service manual in hopes that it will mention the gas line, and whether it is actually associated with the fuel sending unit. If it is, then I may need to get a different sensing unit.

Again, thank you!

Guest bofusmosby

Well, I might have a problem. I found a photo of the top of the tank, and the fuel line looks to be coming out of the sending unit. I believe I need to find another source, and the correct one at that.

Guest bofusmosby

Yes Rusty, I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to contact the seller of the sending unit, and see if he could email me the instructions, along with photos and a diagram, to see if this would be a simple job. Thank you!

If it was mine I would carefully take out the old sender. Examine the old fuel pipe. Bend up a duplicate. Drill a hole in the new sender in the same spot and solder the pipe on. I would also find a modern in tank strainer or filter to stick on. They just slide on the pipe.

It is probably 5/16 steel, most gas lines are.

It's not a real critical fit as long as the pipe comes near the bottom of the tank but doesn't touch, and doesn't hit the gauge arm as it moves up and down.

Guest bofusmosby

Rusty, I have installed a fuel filter already just outside the tank, so would the "inside the tank" filter be needed? I would hate to have to pull the tank if the strainer inside were to get clogged. I sent the guy selling the modern gas sending unit an email, and waiting for his response. I beliee that this job of installing the fuel line would be very do-able. I'll let you know what happens. Thank you.

They usually put a coarse strainer on the inlet. A big rust flake, leaf, stone etc can get sucked into an unprotected pipe and plug it up. Ones I have taken out of late model tanks are made of nylon or plastic, about an inch in diameter and 3 inches long. Like a fine gauze mesh.