What's left of my '63 Buick Special

Guest lalumier

Guest lalumier

Well I'm looking to sell what's left of my 1963 Buick Special. I bought it at a local consignment auction in the summer of 2011 for what I thought was an amazing deal, $2,000. It was in really good drivable condition and, since I have never owned a vehicle purely for fun, I was thrilled to be able to tool around in it as it was. It suited me right down to the ground. It had this goofy flat black after market paint job with red wheels and details that I felt fit me and my personality perfectly. It brought me and the people I ran into when I was out and about driving it an awful lot of joy. In June of 2012 I was stopped with my directional on to turn left, and some kid rear ended me at about 70 mph. This brought my tooling around to a sudden stop. Fortunately, nobody was hurt, but my car was totalled. I'd like to keep it on the road in some form or another, but the damage is too extensive to make it practical to try to restore it. Besides which, I don't have the time or money to take on a project of that size.

The question is, how much is my Buick worth as it sits and what is the best way for me to sell it and know that it will go to someone who is going to put another vintage Buick back on the road. I live in a small town in West Michigan 30 miles north of Grand Rapids. Any input or information that you guys can offer me would be a huge help and very much appreciated.

Pics follow.

~Dave

post-91752-143141778857_thumb.jpg

post-91752-14314177886_thumb.jpg

post-91752-143141778862_thumb.jpg

post-91752-143141778883_thumb.jpg

What a rotten shame! Is the engine still good? Is it a V-6 or a V-8? Is the transmission still good, and what about the interior. It's probably not worth any more than salvage value, which is about $300-350. But if you remove the good parts and part it out yourself, such as on this forum or on Ebay, you can get more for it in the long run, if you are willing to do the work and have a place to do it. The 215 V-8s and their parts are sought after by collectors, restorers, and hot-rodders.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Guest 48buickkid

What Color is the interior? I may be interested in the steering wheel depending o color and condition.

Guest Jeffrey Paul

Bummer, if you can pop off the Special from both sides and if the metal circle with the Buick in the middle on the back (tho looks like that might be gone) i would buy those!!d310.jpg

Guest lalumier

Thanks everybody for the sympathy, information, and support. I wish I would have discovered this board sooner. It seems like a really neat community and I'm glad to be a part of it.

The engine is the "fireball" V-6. Not the aluminum one. Both the engine and the transmission should be in good running order as far as I can determine. That's why I was hoping that it would still be worth more than the $300 that a scrapyard would give me for it.

The interior is that light blue. I believe the original color of the car was a silver or grey. If anyone has a use for any of the parts, go ahead and pm me or email me a decent offer. I have no idea what fair market value of anything is, so you'll have to tell me what you are thinking as far as price. I don't know enough to know how much to ask, so I can't really do the whole haggling thing where we feel each other out and go back and forth. Just tell me what you want and how much you're willing to pay for it.

~dave

Guest lalumier

Here are a few pic's I had of the interior for those who asked.

I take it that you guys don't think there's much of a chance of my finding someone who's restoring another '63 special that would want to take the whole thing off my hands just for the sake of the engine and/or tranny in addition to all of the usable parts?

~Dave

post-91752-143141781715_thumb.jpg

post-91752-143141781736_thumb.jpg

post-91752-143141781737_thumb.jpg

post-91752-143141781739_thumb.jpg

Guest 48buickkid

That Interior looks pretty clean! I would at least think that someone could use this as a parts car for another special. If you weren't 4 hours 1 way from me I would have taken it off your hands. Seriously before you go the scrap route try parting it out here, craigslist, or thehamb.com Someone out there is looking for some parts. Heck run one add in hemmings see what happens.

Guest Jeffrey Paul

How did it run, i need a carb for my 64 buick special - and i will still buy the Special from both sides and pay for postage if you can get them off - and will buy the carburetor if you want to take that off

Guest papaw

I am just north of you in Baldwin. If you need any help let me know. I will keep it in mind for fellow Buick folks this way.