6-Volt Question

Guest starfire

Guest starfire

As some of you may have picked up on, I have just acquired a 1949 98 Sedan. I am going to have all sorts of questions as I get into this thing. I've never owned a car this old (my '68's are the oldest I've ever had). It's obviously also my first car with a generator. So, my question this hour is: What should my volt meter be reading at my battery when the car is running if my generator is working well? I'm guessing about 7.5 volts. Would this be correct? Thanks,

Here's a link to pics of my new money pit: 1949 Oldsmobile 98 Photos by brightbluestarfire | Photobucket

I have two six volt cars. If they have been sitting for about a week unused and I start up the voltage will spike to just over 7.5 volts and output will be a little over 15 amps. This is normal because the current regulator is sensing a need to re-charge the battery. When the battery is fully charged and the engine is running a little faster than idle the generator is putting out somewhere between o-and 1-2 amps and the voltage is about 6.5. Put a load on it and the regulator sees more demand and everything goes up. At idle there will be a slight discharge, but if the battery is fully charged there is more than enough to run all the electrical components, and if the headlamps are on they will be slightly dim and will get brighter when the rpm comes up. FYI sometimes the turn signal flashers will slow down when the car is at idle and speed up when the rpm comes up. This is all normal.

This is why manufacturers switched to alternators...they charge at idle......but there is a catch to this. A alternator needs electricity to make electricity. A generator makes its own electricity. If you ever get stuck somewhere where there is no jump start and you have a dead battery there is no way a push start will ever get you going....unlike a car with a generator.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)