Rattling noise coming from differential.

64riviera

After changing the seals and bearings on the rear axles, changing a few CV joints in the propeller shaft and changing the fluid in the differential I started to build everything back together.

I heard a strange noise from the rear axle that made me change all these parts and I hoped that it solved the problem. But now I still hear some kind of rattling noise coming from the differential.

I tried to film it and put in on Youtube. gear noise 1 - YouTube

It was kind of difficult to capture the noise, but I hope it's clear enough to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

Any ideas on what it could be.

For you information, I took the carrier out to clean it (I had to scoop the old oil out, looked more like sludge than it looked like oil). There were no signs of a bearing gone bad, no metal flakes in the "oil". There's no noticeable play on the pinion shaft.

If it turn the propeller shaft by hand the sound isn't there.

Any thoughts would be welcome, just don't hope it's a bearing although I sounds like it is. That's something I can't fix myself.

Hi Jim.

Yes the car has A/C.

As long as I spin the wheel, the noise stays. If I turn the propeller shaft, no noise.

I drove the car home from the DMV inspection two weeks ago and then I noticed a "strange" noise.

Since I had to take the drive axles out to change the wheel lugs ( the old ones were damaged) I also changed the drive axle bearings and seals.

I also took the propeller shaft, changed 2 CV joints and the center bearing. The rubber was still is decent shape.

I haven't driven the car yet. If it's a bearing in the differential is have to take the diff out again and the car is still on stands right now.