Inyeresting Book Stamp

RWPerry

While looking through the literature that was given to me when I bought my car last Fall, searching for info on snubbers, I notice the inside cover of the original Senior Line Operation and Care Manual that was with it. On the top of the title page is handwritten "Received 7 April 1928 and a rubber stamping at the bottom says "The Nepal Motor Works, Lazimpat, Katmandu, Nepal. The same stamp is on the bottom of the index page. I thought it was interesting and wonder about the significance of it. The guy I bought the car from would have purchased the book in the late 70's when he started trying to restore the car. The book is in very excellent condition since he had a copy made to work from. I hope you can see the stamping in the photo.

post-32618-143141748933_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Often times dealers took every opportunity they could to advertise their name, I have alot of literature with dealers stamps within them. I prefer the stampings myself as it just gives me something else to look into.

Guest Jay Friedman

I think I can answer RW Perry's question about the Nepal Motor Works (NMW) in Kathmandu. During the 1970s I spent several years in Nepal working for the UN and the NMW was across the street from my house. The firm was founded in 1912 as a Ford dealer and until the 1950s or '60s was the only new car dealer in Kathmandu. At first they sold only Fords made in Canada but later sold many different makes of new car, both American and European. When I lived there they had reverted to being a Ford dealer only and were selling Australian-made cars. When I lived there, the NMW's owner was an elderly gentelman who was the son of the firm's founder. He and his father never threw anything away, including many owner's manuals and other auto literature which they had stored in their attic. Naturally, I bought some pieces from them, some of which I later sold so I may very well have been the source of RW Perry's Dodge owner's manual, though I don't remember it specifically. When I lived in Nepal, a number of pre-war cars were still in daily use and the NMW both sold and service them. Naturally, I bought one from them, a 1932 Ford Model B Fordor. It was in running condition but their mechanics and body men then refurbished it, including a paint job, new upholstery and an overhaul of the steering gear. I drove it around Kathmandu until I returned to the US in 1977.

Guest Jay Friedman

Glad you found my story interesting. I forgot to mention that I also remember having seen around Kathmandu once or twice the Dodge DC-8 mentioned by dc8dave. Interesting that the buyer flew it out in a cargo plane. I'm curious as to where it might be now.

I might add that besides the '32 Ford Model B Fordor I bought from the NMW, I also bought and had restored by a different garage in Kathmandu another another '32 Ford, this one a V8 Phaeton (body similar to the DC-8). It was later shipped back to the US (by truck and ship), where I sold it, bought it back years later and recently sold it again.

I found this photo a while back and thought it was interesting. Don't know where I found it but now that I've read this thread I wonder if the location was in the same vicinity as this location your speaking of in Nepal.

Very cool stories all of you, thanks for sharing.

post-69994-143141765927_thumb.jpg

Guest Jay Friedman

30DodgePanel's photo doesn't look like Kathmandu, where most buildings are built of brick and not of stone as in the photo. The photo's caption says India and Pakistan so it must be one of those 2 countries.

I must say that I did not expect all of this great information when I made the original post. I was just curious about it. It is fantastic what you can learn on this forum. Its like the Field od Dreams movie except it is "If you ask it, they will answer." I will keep copies of all of this with the manual for any future owner of the car.

Guest Jay Friedman

I have one more tidbit from Nepal for you Dodge fans. It's a photo taken in front of the Nepal Motor Works in the late 1930s of a group of cars, in which a '34 Dodge Convertible Coupe (don't know the correct Dodge name for it) is prominently shown. Trouble is I have the photo in a WORD document and as a pdf file but the instructions for posting photos on this web site say these are not acceptable formats for posting photos. I'm not very good with computers and won't try to wrestle with software but I do know how to attach the photo to a personal email. So if anyone wants to see it, email me at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com and I'll reply with the photo as an attachment.

I have one more tidbit from Nepal for you Dodge fans. It's a photo taken in front of the Nepal Motor Works in the late 1930s of a group of cars, in which a '34 Dodge Convertible Coupe (don't know the correct Dodge name for it) is prominently shown. Trouble is I have the photo in a WORD document and as a pdf file but the instructions for posting photos on this web site say these are not acceptable formats for posting photos. I'm not very good with computers and won't try to wrestle with software but I do know how to attach the photo to a personal email. So if anyone wants to see it, email me at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com and I'll reply with the photo as an attachment.

Jay,

try doing this

How to Copy Pictures From a Word Document & Save As a JPG | eHow.com

Thanks Jay, what I plan to do this A.M is go to Kinkos and let them open my e-mail and see if they can view/print it for me, I tried even on my wifes computer and all I get are mumbo jumbo lines, I do not have any problem with giving you my information of course but I am trying to save you the work, will let you know how I make out.

Thanks Jason, I was about to give him my info but I'll let you guys communicate and stay out of it unless called upon.

Jay,

do either one of these building locations in the photos below look familar. The 2nd pic I believe the blog mentioned it was a Ford dealer in Nepal. Is that the building by chance ? The first one I believe said Baroda ? Sorry, I'm horrible at world geography....

post-69994-143141767539_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141767535_thumb.jpg